• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Audio 29LTD

OK I know this discussion maybe junking a radio to many but this is my dilemma. My wife is running a Cobra 29LTD I think from the 90's in her vehicle. Now I just replaced the mic with a Road King RK-56 Turner because the other mic picked up way to much back ground noise but now with the RK-56 the audio is very low and does not power through like the old mic. Now a low signal = 10-9. I want to keep the RK-56 but need louder audio so I looked up some CB mods and found several sites saying to adjust VR-4 or cut D-11 which I am guessing is a audio limiter. So what I am hoping for as a result in cutting D-11 that I will have loud audio with a dynamic noise cancelling mic. We really use our CB's here because cell service is worse and need every nitch we can get to get through the mountains and skip. Want to mention I am the only base in my county and out of radio range from the highway so we don't bother anyone. Does anyone know if there is a D-11 on the Cobra 29LTD and is it a audio limiter, and is VR-4 for audio output? Also listed is L-14,L-13,L-12 for power output which I was under the impression was not adjustable on this radio. Any suggestions appreciated

You don't have to cut or adjust anything in the radio to get it to be a 'loud' as you need.
You just have to use the RK as it was designed to be used.

Did you ever notice that rubber bridge on the front of the mic screen? That is a 'lip bridge'; a 'spacer' if you like. It is meant to be rested on your upper lip. This RK will not be loud and it won't work well if you hold it a few inches away from your mouth - like you would with an Astatic D-104 mic or any other power mic. The RK was designed to be real close to the mouth; not far away. Will make a HUGE difference of the RK's performance . . .

rk56b2.jpg

Now let's look at another noise-cancelling mic, the Astatic 636.
It also has a rubber lip guard/bridge to be rested upon your upper lip as well.
ANY real noise-cancelling mic will have this feature and will need to be really close to your mouth when talking.

636L.jpg

Product Description:
"The 636 is designed for close talking, handheld applications in quality sound installations where background noise is a problem. The frequency response, especially tailored for voice communications, provides a crisp, clear, highly intelligible sound with 360 degrees minimization of background noise . . ."

The RK is no different in function than a 636 mic . . .

Last edited:
Robb is right!! Don't cut anything! If you take the radio to a radio shop, you can get a tune up. Around here the techs get twenty or thirty bucks. Also I have used the RK56 in the past and it did ok but as stated you have to drive it kinda hard! I have switched to the Astatic 636L hand mic. It's a keeper!
What kind of antenna system are you running on momas car?

I would do as Rob stated, get up on that mic and crank the mic gain on the front of the radio. If your Cobra has not been peaked and tuned have it done. If nothing else turn VR5 up alittle yourself. That is easy to do and you will know if you turned it the wrong way because the audio will get quieter.

Reactions: 1 person
Robb,IRock,9C1Driver.

Robb-Yes I have over emphasized to the wife about the lip guard and how noise cancelling mic's work. IRock-I am using a Radio Shack antenna can't remember the name but I hear they are popular with off-road clubs.It is approx 4' high with a slim winding on the bottom section about 10" high covered in a plastic type material and a stainless whip up top. I have had great receive and get out with it I really like this antenna and it is kinda indestructible. 9C1Driver I think what you said about turning up VR-5 couldn't hurt a bit but are you sure it's VR-5 and not VR-4? I guess I got used to hearing her booming in at the lowest signals and when I heard the RK-56 it reminded me of a run of the mill walkey talkey it was disappointing. I personally didn't have a problem with the back ground noise with the old mic a (Superstar DM-5000 Tornado) but when ever I was in her truck the wife back on the base station had a very hard time understanding me I had to turn the music radio completely off and close all the windows and even when I would go up hill "give it more gas" she could even hear that. Now I also run a 29LTD in my truck also with a RK-56 and it is loud with great audio " everyone tells me so with out asking" but I bought this radio used and do not know it's history but it does have echo with talk-back that was an after market install. Thanks again guys! ..Jeff

Robb-Yes I have over emphasized to the wife about the lip guard and how noise cancelling mic's work. IRock-I am using a Radio Shack antenna can't remember the name but I hear they are popular with off-road clubs.It is approx 4' high with a slim winding on the bottom section about 10" high covered in a plastic type material and a stainless whip up top. I have had great receive and get out with it I really like this antenna and it is kinda indestructible. 9C1Driver I think what you said about turning up VR-5 couldn't hurt a bit but are you sure it's VR-5 and not VR-4? I guess I got used to hearing her booming in at the lowest signals and when I heard the RK-56 it reminded me of a run of the mill walkey talkey it was disappointing. I personally didn't have a problem with the back ground noise with the old mic a (Superstar DM-5000 Tornado) but when ever I was in her truck the wife back on the base station had a very hard time understanding me I had to turn the music radio completely off and close all the windows and even when I would go up hill "give it more gas" she could even hear that. Now I also run a 29LTD in my truck also with a RK-56 and it is loud with great audio " everyone tells me so with out asking" but I bought this radio used and do not know it's history but it does have echo with talk-back that was an after market install. Thanks again guys! ..Jeff

Just look up what version ya got.

CBTricks.com Cobra Electronics (Dynascan) Radio Index

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.