• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Average watts question

Easy. Know the power level of the carrier. The applied modulation has to be the same level to fully 'modulate' that carrier. When the applied modulation power equals the carrier power then you have 100% modulation. It isn't exactly that 'simple' but it's close enough not to make any significant difference at all.
- 'Doc

OK you lost me on that one Doc. With plate modulation the applied modulation power is equal to one half the DC power input to the finals for 100% modulation. IOW a 1000 watt carrier that requires a 1500 watts of DC power to create it would require 750 watts of audio power to modulate it to 100%. What happens in a grid modulated circuit? The power required is MUCH lower. In the case of a solid state unit substitute the appropriate name such as collector or base.

Reactions: 1 person
This has been beat to death on every cb forum. But here's my angle. I don't and never owned a peak bird.
When the bird has a little wiggle you should be close to 100%. This is confirmed by the scope.
Doesn't mean it sounds good, but it's a start.

An average reading meter can be fooled as well as a peak reading meter, flat tops and pinched carriers can mess with any meter. And then there is voice vs injected signal. I use a scope along with a 43p ... that doesn't leave much room for guessing ;)

Yes, ideally a 'scope is the best way to determine modulation level unless you have a lab grade modulation meter. No........ a Dosy test center or mod meter does not qualify as lab grade. :laugh:

Reactions: walterjn
I still don't understand how a modulation meter can decipher odd waveforms that double voltage. Even a perfectly flat topped signal will double voltage (100% modulation) and show extraordinarily high average power, but look like 100% on a peak meter. But I've never used a modulation meter either.

This is the kind of meter I was referring too. I have had this one for many years and plan to keep it for many more. When new they were the better part of $1000. It does AM modulation to 100% and FM deviation to 100KHz.

wavetek4101.jpg

How late was it when I wrote that, and was I sober?
- 'Doc

Not sure and not sure. ;) I had wondered if it was me as I worked last night, got off early at 6:00am and attended a mandatory company meeting until 8:00am <gotproof> where I think I fell asleep a couple times :sleep: , and then came home and hadn't slept yet. My comprehension level is not real high at the moment. :blink:

Yeah but it doesn't do FM deviation which is important to me and requires a computer connection so it is not really portable. I can pick this up and go. It will run on an internal battery pack as well. Besides that there was no such thing as REA when I got the Wavetek. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.