• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bad luck?

desync0

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 29, 2010
What are the chances that all 3 SSB capable radios become garbled on SSB at the same time? I tried all 3 radios, on 3 different antennas, with 4 different power sources, including in my mobile.

An old philly 148 in a grant XT chassis (this one was hacked up before I got it so I'm not surprised, but it did work at one time), an old royce 639 (unkown history), and a galaxy 949 (kept blowing fuses on xmit until i went up to a 5a), all sound fine on AM, sound like absolute junk on SSB, my voice is barely legible.

I know the galaxy was fine on SSB up until it started popping fuses, and the 148 worked the last time I had it out a year ago.

Maybe the radio gods are telling me to quit studying for it and get off my ass and write my ticket and quit messing with CB's? lol

What are the chances that all 3 SSB capable radios become garbled on SSB at the same time? I tried all 3 radios, on 3 different antennas, with 4 different power sources, including in my mobile.

An old philly 148 in a grant XT chassis (this one was hacked up before I got it so I'm not surprised, but it did work at one time), an old royce 639 (unkown history), and a galaxy 949 (kept blowing fuses on xmit until i went up to a 5a), all sound fine on AM, sound like absolute junk on SSB, my voice is barely legible.

I know the galaxy was fine on SSB up until it started popping fuses, and the 148 worked the last time I had it out a year ago.

Maybe the radio gods are telling me to quit studying for it and get off my ass and write my ticket and quit messing with CB's? lol

Seems the Radio Gods have spoken. Pay heed.

If you buy screwed up CB radios what is going to prevent you from buying screwed up Amateur radios? If the same golden screwdriver screwed with all 3 radios the chances of malfunctions are high.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.