• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Multi-band Antenna ??? for like 857D ???

Definately need some guidelines first.How big a lot,what bands if not all,do you have a tower etc.Cheap,simple and good is a dipole with each leg about 66 feet long fed with ladder line and connected to a balanced tuner.It will tune all bands and will work quite well.Can be hung as an inverted Vee if you want.It will work much better than a G5RV.

Parker, what do you want to do? Are you asking for HF antennas or V/UHF antennas? Are you looking for mobile or fixed station antennas?

The intended use is important, as is the bands you want to use, because that determines what antennas to use in the use of specific bands and mo+des.

parker420 said:
Any Suggestions for Base Multi-band Antenna for use with a Yaesu 857D?

OK ... I thought the above was enough info.....sorry.

I have a good amount of yard to work with ....... However .... no trees or anything. So, I'll use a push up. I am going with the 857D for a Base.... so V/U and HF. If you have good suggestions for V/U mobile, send em also, I may switch the unit in and out.

Thanks Again

parker',
Still sort of one of those 'depends' things. If you want one antenna to do almost everything with, then as suggested, the longest doublet possible fed through a tuner and ladder line is probably your best bet. Getting the thing up off the ground will probably be the hardest thing to do (more higher is more better). An 'all band' vertical is an option, not the one I'd pick, but still an option. And then putting in the biggest radial ground system you can manage, then using a huge mobile antenna can work. Any/all 'multiband' antennas are compromises in one way or the other. You pay'z your money and take'z your pick...
- 'Doc

A push up mast attached to your house is a good idea. I've done that in the past. I had a 40 foot pushup mast with 2m / 70cm vertical on top of the mast and used an all band dipole as a sloper coming off of the mast about 5 feet under the vertical. Nothing to write home about, but it was workable and I had lots of HF contacts with the sloper on HF novice bands.

Hey parker420

there are many types of antennas you can use..
likly you need for HF use..

bcrew made a good suggestion..
but do you have an area to spread that out?

also are you looking for a beam....dipole or vertical..
if dipole stick with bcrew's suggestion

if a beam i would suggest one from Steppir
www.steppir.com
(they have 2 element to 5 element depending on the space you have and bands as well as money you are willing to spend)

if it is a vertical (that would take up the least room and perhaps easiest to install..
then i would recomend again a steppir antenna
(either the BigIr or smallIr...depending on frequency's and or hight of antenna....it is quite easy to erect and install...but for best results you will need to add radials for each frequency you perfer..if on roof then laying out coax to use as radials or if on ground then coax at needed lengths for frequency to bury)..

Steppir antennas offer a unique ability (both in their beams and verticals) to run extremly low SWR's (typiclly 1 to 1 or darn close to it) without need of a tuner for 20/40 meters HF to 6 meters..

either way expect to pay $350 to $4500 depending on the antenna if you want really good results..
myself i would recoment Steppir's beams (if you have the room and willing to spend a bit...lol )

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.