• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Basic coaxial connector question

P

pjm

Hey guys,

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'm new to the radio world.

I've recently installed an FM aerial in my attic, for a radio I use in my bedroom - however I'm having a bit of difficulty with the final connection.

The radio has a threaded F-type receptical, which seems also to accept an oversized connector that slips over the threads. Then I put the central wire from the coaxial cable into the receptical it works fine - however then I try to close up the connection by using an F-type connector threaded to the threads on the radio I seem to get interference - it's when the metal of the connector touches the threads - Do I need to somehow isolate the metal? I've stripped back the shielding foil from around the coxial locally at the end, the connector simply grips the outer plastic sheathing by some theards - not sure how to discribe the connector - just a basic F-type connector that you would get in your local hardware store. Can I get connectors with plastic coatings?

PJM,
Just sticking the center conductor into the antenna jack will work just fine for receive. Transmitting is a different story!
Antenna/coax connectors are a two conductor deal. Center and case/braid. No, you really can't find a 'plastic' connector. That would enable only one connection instead of two. Plastic coated ones, sure, but what would be the point.
I would imagine that the 'static' you are getting may be from an intermitant connection somewhere, or just the normal static in your area. (No idea which, but sounds good doesn't it??)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.