• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beams

• Thread starter Icom 706 King Cobra
  • Start date
I

Icom 706 King Cobra

how about an explanation of the following please...

Beamwidth Azimuth

Beamwidth Elevation

i sort of understand difference from horizontal verses setting a beam for vertically..

but doesnt the beam send out its pattern when horizontally out of both sides (though in a narrow beam)..

then in doing so when placing it verticlly would not the side where elements point to ground creat a problem with the pattern ??

When adding beams in a phased array...

how are above beamwidth azimath & elevation & front to back

specs affected..

currantly i have two 9 element 2 meter fm beams on order with all nessesary phasing hardware..

as well as a 222 12 element fm beam...

while already having a 16 element uhf wide band beam..

since i would perfer to use a single rotor for these 3 antenna systems (consisting of 4 antennas)..

what spacing should i keep if using 2 meter on bottom...222 in middle & 430-450 flat on top..

also i suppose for repeater use putting beams vertical is best?

thanks & later..

oh yes & please u gurus impart some of that knowledge this way..lol..

later

</p>

Freecell, you need to lighten up on other forum members. It's one thing to have a discussion or correct technical discrepencies. It's quite another to make a personal attack, which is what you did in your last post and in a few others. The personal attacks need to stop.

Moleculo

</p>

Hello Icom 706 King Cobra:

Stacking the VHF and UHF Beams will get ya close to 3 more dB as compared to a single antenna. The Manufacture will no drought have the spacing spec's. When your working long distance DX stations every ounce of Antenna Gain will help.

One neat thing that can be considered for experimenting around with stacked beams is the Monopulse Configuration. Connecting the two stacked beam antennas (NOT CO-PHASED) but out of phase creating a single, and in the center of the beams pattern a very sharp and deep null, in the antenna pattern, that will allow very accurate Direction Finding. But at the price of a single beams gain at the sides of the null.

This can be done by lengthening or shortening the coax feeding the two antennas. So that the antennas are now feed out of phase.

Radar Antennas would be made with two separate antennas on one dish, and feed out of phase to allow for the sharp null so that targets could be easily and more accurately be detected. The Radar Processors then could then very accurately display the target on the screen.

This can be done with beam, dipole, ground plane, mobile antennas,and even with just a beam and a vertical antenna. Kind of neat tho with stacked beams, as you can see the direction of stations or null them out 30 to 40 dB or more, depending on the accuracy of the phasing coax, and antenna installation.

So if you like to play and experiment around give this a try.

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.