• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best AM broadcast antenna

fasteddy

Apr 5, 2005
I know this isn't about CB or Ham antennas, but I was wondering if anyone knew of an antenna for car or truck that is built to recieve the AM broadcast band better than just a stinger, or in my case a CB antenna. That is the antenna for the radio on my 2003 Sterling dump truck. I like talk radio and he stations that play that in my area are quite some distance away and don't come in that great on what I have.
thanks
Ed
KC0PZE

WCW, I could do without FM if I could find a good AM antenna. Thats my point, looking for good AM performance not caring about FM. I know about satelite radio, but man I just can't bring myself to pay for radio, not yet any way.
Ed
KC0PZE

Maybe you could hook up a random length wire of over 80-100 feet and drag it behind the truck!

That is a tough situation, I am not sure if CC crane has what fits the bill, but I have looked over some of their products before and it looked like pretty good stuff to me. If I remember right, they were fairly expensive (by my cheap standards).

I know that they often advertise an antenna made for AM reception...I haven't looked at it, but maybe you can figure something out with that.

949Jake said:
Maybe you could hook up a random length wire of over 80-100 feet and drag it behind the truck!

Jake beat me to it. :p The only thing to help AM rx is a bigger antenna.If you could extend the length of the whip it may help but that is hard to do as it would have to be quite a bit longer.You could try clipping an extender wire to the whip and see if that helps.Vehicle radios are generally quite sensitive on the AM band so your favorite station must be quite a ways away.On the AM band size does matter. ;)Maybe you could try a 102" whip mounted on the top of the cab. :shock:

Fasteddy,
Unfortunately, about the only practical thing you can do to improve reception is to get closer to the stations. You might try an 'active' antenna, one that uses a signal amplifier, but it would amplify noise too.
If you listen to the 'talk radio' shows, there's a better answer! Call them when they're on, tell them to talk louder, you can't hear them...
- 'Doc

Thanks guys for all the replys. Doc, its good to see you on here, and I always get a kick out of your advice. I guess a 468 ft dipole is a little out of the question for the dump truck. i'll just tell the host to TALK LOUDER do I can hear. HHHHMMMMMMMM................ does Rush Limbaugh need someone to tell him that :D .
Ed
KC0PZE

The best Am radio antenna that i've found is the older car antennas from the 60's 70's that are telescopic and long. They work real good compared to the new combo AM/FM antenna. These will help for daytime AM radio, for nighttime the smaller the antenna the better because of the noise levels. I'm a Coast to Coast nut, catch it on WBT. I also have a 50 foot random wire strung out the window for daytime, what a major differance compared to the internal antenna. On noisy nights I have to unhook the wire to drop the noise levels (ref. beverage antennas). I agree with you I can't reason with paying for radio satalite or not.

Good Luck
Jonbah
1st Class Mud Duck !

It has been a long time since I messed with car audio. But the radios use to have a tuning cap on the radio for AM. On the radios with the 2 knobs sticking out the front, you accessed that cap by removing the knob. You would fine a weak signal and tune for best reception.

Not sure if they still have that on the newer radios. Just a thought.

PS loved my XM until they jacked up the price by 30%

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.