• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Antenna Tuner / Analyzer for under $100

Ok so it shows your radio what it want's to see, it is the same as any other matching device for a antenna. Nothing going up in heat all the power gets radiated.

Except for the additional loss in the coax from the signal having to pass through the feedline multiple times, and the ohmic loss in the inductor and switch contacts inside the "tuner". Lossless feedline exists only in the laboratory.

Except for the additional loss in the coax from the signal having to pass through the feedline multiple times, and the ohmic loss in the inductor and switch contacts inside the "tuner". Lossless feedline exists only in the laboratory.

no kidding, but what is lost in heat like it was stated? the losses are no different that if it had a perfect swr with the actual forward power traveling down the line and lost in the tuner. Thanks for trying to sound like a smart guy.

no kidding, but what is lost in heat like it was stated? the losses are no different that if it had a perfect swr with the actual forward power traveling down the line and lost in the tuner. Thanks for trying to sound like a smart guy.

And thank YOU for once again actually succeeding in looking like a smart ass. :whistle: Any antenna system that needs an antenna tuner to lower the SWR will indeed have more losses in the transmission line than if it was perfectly matched. This is especially true if the antenna impedance is very low due to increased I-squared-R losses from increased transmission line current. Also if the SWR was perfect you wouldn't need a tuner and in the bypass position it would indeed have next to nothing for losses HOWEVER when inline and tuning a high SWR the losses can be appreciable.I have seen tank coils and switch contacts burn up from current caused by heat build up from losses but I know I needn't tell you this because I know you already know it. Don't you?

If the load at the end of a coaxial feed line is not a perfect 50 ohms, there will be additional losses beyond the tuner, which will indeed show up as heat, more so in the feed line than anywhere else, therefore not all RF will be radiated if you have a mismatched system.

Frankly, I don't recommend running a tuner with a coax fed system that has a SWR of 2.0 to 1 or higher, if the SWRs are that bad, you need to adjust the antenna. The only time I recommend running a tuner if the SWR is higher than 2.0 to 1, is if someone is feeding the antenna with true 600 ohm ladder line. Although there is an impedance mismatch, ladder line does not exhibit the heat and loss issues that are prevalent with coax. However, with that being said, you must ensure that the balun, either internal in the tuner or external is of high quality, and is rated for the intended power.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.