• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best budget priced dual band HT

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Was looking at all the budget priced dual banders. And was asking myself what to buy. Or should I pay a little more and get the Ft-60 yaesu. But by the time I get the programing cable it's more than i want to spend. So Baofeng or Wouxun and what model?

Hey Grogan,

I don't own Baofeng or Wouxun models but know some who do. The $$ is a nice driver and is easily replaced if damaged/lost.

I do own a VX-6R and an FT-60. Both work extremely well however for ARES events, I like to use the 6R because the Mic connection is a screw in connector, it won't accidently come out when moving around and pulling on the Mic. The FT-60 Mic has a 90 deg. pin that can pull out while working events and can leave the radio in a TX mode - Not Good. I have put a rubber band around the radio and it helps some but looks YUK! Without hte Mic, I like the way the FT-60 feels in my hand over the 6R but the 6R goes with me on the bike trails due to it's size. There is a pig-tail accessory for either radio that allow the use of the old Yeasu 2-prong mic's. Ear buds fit the RX connector for the descreat monitoring. The 6R also fits better in the coat pocket when watching the HS football team.

Regarding the programing cable and software, I have not purchased these for either radio. I wanted to know how to program it in the field, I do pack the manual though. Either radio also makes for a good analog Police Scanner and the 6R receive goes from 504 kHz ~ 998.99 MHz. I am sure the other brands have their good points too but I haven't any experience with them.

The FT-270 is the 2m version with a screw in Mic connector. I purchased one for my son when he was liscensed and kind of wish I had purchased one as well.

Good luck in your search...

Thanks for the reply. Well I was out on the road for work and went past HRO in DE. and picked the Wouxon KG-UV3D and programing cable. No baofeng there. Nice radio off to programing we go! Looks like the cable and programing are not supported by Win 8 so KGUV Comander it is.

Is Chirp a good alternative?

Hope the Wouxun works for you. I have the UV6Dv2 and it kills the battery, but otherwise seems fine. I wanted to try the new Baofung 5R $40 is too cheap...

I just bought a Baofeng UV-82, and really like it a lot. Previously had a 5r+ and lost it somewhere. :sad: Got the new one for 36 bucks shipped. Buttons are bigger, fits your hand better, and the locals say the sound is more "full" instead of being kind of high pitched. Still have my regular UV-5R and will continue using it. Great little HT's for the money. Hope you make out good with your Wouxun, lots of guys in my club run them too.

Brett

The baofeng gt3 is a ok radio for the money ..better receive and transmit quality . 60$ .but mho would be the yaesu 60r ..it's far better receive and transmit and built well..hro has them for 149$ the vx6 the other gentlemen talked about has one of the worst receivers I have come across ..even the old baofeng picked up station it didnt.the xv8dr is a great radio but it's 420$ new n if you want gas n whatnot it will almost double that price..

For my aprs I use the ft1dr ..I don't care about yaesu digital mode ..but this unit has a great gps unit built in and all the record functions as the other guys for under 400$ complete.

If you just want a two band rag chew and are not long winded like myself xD..then baofeng will work fine...If you talk for long periods of time the ft 60r is the way to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.