• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Besy Way To Desolder Amp Board Tabs

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
A friend of mine is going to be bringing me a Palomar Blue 225 like the pic. Has lost about 25 watts of power but still working. Looked inside and says there are two diodes that have popped loose presumably due to heat ( I told the boy to mount a fan on de thing). Says diodes have popped loose from the solder side of the board and the board will have to be unmounted from the overall unit. Says there are large solder tabs in the corners presumably connecting the board ground to the case. I can check/replace/resolder the diodes for him but have no experience desoldering the large corner solder blobs from an amp case.

What's the best-easiest way to do this? I have a large soldering gun and small butane hand torch and pretty good soldering skills.

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:

A big solder sucker to get a lot of it off and then plenty of solder wick. Have fun... :) :)

Use the biggest baddest soldering iron you can find and use a small pair of needle nose pliers or a knife blade to separate them Clean up any solder blobs after and resolder up good when finished.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.