• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Big Bubba Antenna ???

F

FIVE-NINE

Has anyone heard of or seen the Big Bubba antenna? I stopped at the CB Shack just south of Cullman, AL about a year ago and
he had one on display. I went back a month later to see about purchasing it and he had sold it. I can not find any information on it.

It was an all aluminum antenna with a shaft about 10 in. or so. It had 2 or 3 huge coils about 6 in. or so. It was an awesome looking antenna and I would like to find out more about it.

o

I would avoid multiple coils! This is mostly psychological! Coils introduce resistance into the antenna. If you could, you'd be better off with the 102 whip! Sometimes loading coils HAVE to be used (height, for example), but they don't "enhance" your signal! To some, they may look "cool", but it is mostly looks! :D
Not to disparage any antenna products, but if you must use a 'coil' antenna, then I would use one of the single-coil units.

BTW, this also a trick to bring the total antenna impedance up to 50 ohms. It isn't so important on 27 MHZ but it 'can' be. The ideal impedance of a mobile antenna is 50 ohms, and various parts of this value occur at different points along the system from the base to the tip of the whip. *If* the impedance is less that 40-50 ohms, you can add "coils" in the thing to bring it UP! To those that don't know, these BIG, multiple coils "look" big, bad and "cool"! Sure, they work fine, but not as well as they LOOK the part!

Just something to consider.

So CW, might you be suggesting the adding the coil is maybe adding some loss, and that maybe shows the match to get better?

FIVE-NINE said:
Has anyone heard of or seen the Big Bubba antenna? I stopped at the CB Shack just south of Cullman, AL about a year ago and
he had one on display. I went back a month later to see about purchasing it and he had sold it. I can not find any information on it.

It was an all aluminum antenna with a shaft about 10 in. or so. It had 2 or 3 huge coils about 6 in. or so. It was an awesome looking antenna and I would like to find out more about it.

H&Y Elec has the Big Bubba. A friend has one and loves it. Myself I use a Wilson 5000 trunk mouth..

FIVE-NINE said:

I've been using one for about 10 years (actually, I'm on my second one now). Previously I used a Wilson 1000. Before becoming a "Bubba" user I was doing an A/B comparison between the two for a review. In some instances I noticed no difference, but in several others, it (Bubba) out performed the 1000, so I switched. The whip is longer than the 1000, yet requires no cutting, it does have a folder over feature (which will wear out over the years if you park in a parking garage every day). The matching mag mount for it is (I'm being kind), "Not very good", however it has the same 259 mount as the 1000 does, so I use a Wilson 1000 magnet mount with it (close second is the Diamond SPM-35 mag mount). You can buy them direct from Valor via website as well. The worst thing that can be said about it is it's name (which I peel off). Works fine on 10m too. Hope that helps -

TSG

What I really meant was that it was one coil that turned 2 or three times. I have used a 102' whip before and had no problems with it, but I'm getting much better performance out of my Monkeymade right now.

Thanks 667 for the info.....I'll definately go take a look :!:

I checked out H&Y Electronics and looked at the Bib Bubba
Z-180. This antenna is nothing like what I described. I talked to some fellow cb'ers last night and one guy had an old catalog from 1STOPELECTRONICS and had a picture of it. He told me that it was listed as a "BB" and was rated at 30k. He also mentioned that it had been noticed in the keydown circuit for several years.

Marconi said:
So CW, might you be suggesting the adding the coil is maybe adding some loss, and that maybe shows the match to get better?

Marconi,

I am not ignoring you! :D I will get back to you with an explanation shortly. I have company at home! :D

CWM

Marconi,

Here's your theoretical answer. Now I realize that at 27 MHZ is is not quite as critical as on............say, 3.9 MHZ, but it still is valid.

There are 3 resistances in an antenna system that makes up the system's total system impedance: feedpoint, coil resistance, and radiation resistance. There's not much you can do about radiation resistance, but you CAN tinker with the other factors to get a better match. Let's say the antenna shows a natural impedance of 30 ohms total. The SWR is likely to be a tad high--even when in resonance (The antenna loads but shows a consistant 1.7 : 1 no matter what you do). Actually, that value isn't all THAT bad, but it may be even higher. If you add another 8 ohms of resistance and another 2 ohms at the feedpoint, add it up. It = 50 ohms! So there are ways to
dicker with the thing to make it right. You can add more turns to the loading coil (which make make it more "in tune", but not necessarily for the reason you thot), and change the whip length, OR you can add impedance at the feedpoint. Instead of adding turns to the coil, you are better off to change it at the feedpoint with a capacitor, or little coil, or toroidal device because the radio actually prefers to "see" 50 ohms at the feedpoint rather than up in the shaft where it "sees" this as another value of resistance and adds this value to the RADIATION resistance. Suffice it so say that the impedance is BETTER adjusted at the feedpoint rather than up in the antenna itself.

It isn't nearly as critical, as I said, on 27 MHZ, and indeed, such adjustments may not even be needed as the natural impedance of an HF antenna will tend to increase as frequency rises----most noticible above around 8-10 MHZ until, at 27 MHZ, it may not be needed at all. However, sometimes impedance DOES become an issue with...........say, certain types of antennas. Now, as to the huge coil antennas, as effficiency increases, the impedance *may* decrease. Builders KNOW this, so they may add coil turns and shorten the whip to make an impressive-looking antenna. This not only looks good to the CBer/trucker, but it looks like it will REALLY get out! :D
And it MAY! It also fills the need for a shorter antenna for the trucker. But the multiple coils are a trade-off. Overall, the 102" whip is the better antenna with drawbacks. It is long, floppy, and may present impedance issues of its own! But ALL mobile HF antennas are compromises and you simply have to choose the one that suits ya best! It just helps to know what the factors are that influence your choice! :D

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.