• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BIG TUBES

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
hows this for a tube, anyone got pics of anything bigger please post i think eimac makes a 200,000 watt tube but ive never seen pictures
3cx15000.jpg

I wonder how he figures the tube is good for 100,000 watts CW.He tested it in a Harris MW50B transmitter that will only put out around 55,000 watts MAX.Broadcast TX'ers will only put out 110% of rated power by design. :? I would also be wary of the "good for 55,000 watts at 125% mod" claim also. Broadcast pulls are good but not that good.That spec is what a new tube will do.

I suspect he is a commercial broadcast engineer of a friend of one.The TX he claims the tubes were tested in is a commercial AM broadcast TX and it is quite common to have several old tubes laying around the tX site that were pulled from service when the power output dropped. Old tubes are kept to use in the event of a major malfunction,lightning strike etc. that caused the main tubes to blow. Old ones are put back in to test things out so you don't ruin a new set.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.