• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Black Face D104 help

WR989_Dan

Jul 23, 2011
Beer Capital Milwaukee Wi
having a issue today with my black face d104 has the push to talk and the chicken choker seems i was sounding bad and distorted on radio today changed the head and sounded fine for a few then stopped keying up know it keys up again but losing modualtion i used 5 diffrent heads took the black face head tried that on another stand works fine looked at the amp board could not see anything visibly burnt out any suggestions

Since you said you eyeballed the circuit board I figured you checked the terminal strip also, but if you haven't a wire still attached but with several broken strands can cause this problem also.

Someone asked me the same question on the radio today. The fix for these mics are either dirty contacts; or too much travel on the switch itself when activated. Adjusting it for proper travel when keying is pretty important from what I've gathered 75% of the time. Cleaning the contacts with a clean match book cover or a piece clean paper and some pressure gets it done. Doesn't hurt to add a little contact cleaner to the contacts before running the card/paper through.

In a worst case scenario, I would use a piece of folded-over 400 or 600 grit wet-or-dry sand paper, with only a few swipes through with some pressure. The LAST thing you want to do, is overdo it. A little goes a long way.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.