• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BOAFENG UV-5RE PLUS NO RX ON VHF

Hmm, I have found another weird issue.

I have 442.000 programmed in and I am getting what I can only describe as a birdie. The squelch doesn't seem to cut it out and the output of the repeater sounds very noisy like a pulsing buzzing sound and can hear the audio of the repeater behind it. Thought of it being an interference issue and still had the "open" squelch issue with the antenna removed. I do not have the Rx ctcss programmed in. And when it was it didn't seem to help. It is still there with the squelch aetting at 9.

Anyone else experence this?

It was the rx ctcss. I turned it off and it works correctly. I guess some work with it on and some don't.

Next question;

I am trying to delete the factory memory channels, But when I select mem delete it won't confirm it just beeps.

From the FAQ at the miklor site:

The easiest way to remove them is to:
Press Menu, 40 (Reset), Menu, ALL, Menu.

And for the audio issue:

Q: Why is my microphone audio is low?
A: Here's are some suggestions:
1) Talk directly into the radio, within one inch.
2) Confirm the audio is set to Wide Band. 5 kHz (Menu 5 = W)
3) Try an external spkr/mic to confirm problem is the mic.
4) Blow compressed air into the spkr/mic jack.
5) If you have an external spkr/mic, plug it in and out a few times.
The issue might be a dirty connector.

Brett

Maybe you just got a defective unit.

Did you get it from China or from a shop in the USA?

Very, very good question Robb. Well as it turns out I do beleive that I got a defective unit (pisspoor referb). I have a couple of problems with it.

1- The unit is making a strange pulsating static noise while in tdr(dual band mode) It does go away if I opt out of that mode...which brings me to problem #2

2- when you first turn on the unit it is ok, after you key the ptt and there is no signal present I get a steady light static from the speaker. This will go on untill there is a RX signal present such as a transmission from a repeater when the signal stops the squelch kicks in and it is fine. this is a very weird issue. it dosent seem to matter if you have a rx ctcss tone programmed in or not.

Now for the more interesting part. Yes, I bought it from a domestic seller and not from china ( I should have:mad:) So I got to wondering about if some of these domestic sellers we selling referbs as new, So I had a look see at the main board and as I figured you could see from looking at the solder side of the board that it had some repairs and or rework done to it:eek:....This figures.

So I think it would be safe to say that if you want to try one of these get it streight from china to avoid this "Bait and switch" gimmick.

I got this unit from a seller off of Amazon, which initself I had several issues such as taking your money knowing they don't have the item in stock..etc, etc.:sad:

I did read some reviews that said they had to hold down the monitor button to get any RX out of the unit. different, but similar.

They are getting as bad as theifbay.....But that's another story....

In anycase I am wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this kind of issue?

Thanks,
73's
M.S.

From the FAQ at the miklor site:

The easiest way to remove them is to:
Press Menu, 40 (Reset), Menu, ALL, Menu.

And for the audio issue:

Q: Why is my microphone audio is low?
A: Here's are some suggestions:
1) Talk directly into the radio, within one inch.
2) Confirm the audio is set to Wide Band. 5 kHz (Menu 5 = W)
3) Try an external spkr/mic to confirm problem is the mic.
4) Blow compressed air into the spkr/mic jack.
5) If you have an external spkr/mic, plug it in and out a few times.
The issue might be a dirty connector.

Brett

Thanks Brett I had seen that. I like how they put up a blanket check to cover up the real problem. (with a fully functioning unit). apearently it is a mic gain issue.

You have to remember that these boafeng's are commerical radios not ham radios and they have extera filtering on the audio for use in noisy invirements. the links I posted explain why this is.

I always seem to get the bum units right out of the box..:glare:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.