• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Building new shack/qth.....Suggestions

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
Hello, After nearly 8 month of renting I bought 5 acres and am building a home. I have made a 13' 5"x 10' area to be my office/shack. Since we havent started building yet, I can add anything I want. Heres my list so far

2x 220v 50 amp outlets
10 120v outlets
2 8' copper clad ground rods drove in earth in craw space below shack for grounding.
4 inch conduit through foundation 10" below grade to run coax and control lines to tower.
high flow ceiling fan for circulation.

Can anyone think of anything that I have missed. Maybe you built a shack and found somthing you wanted after you were done?

Acoustic treatment of the room itself so that it is neutral and deadens reflections. Plywood walls are much better than sheet rock for optimum sound characteristics.

Separate closet space for computer and amplifier so that noise from equipment isn't an issue. Ducting for air to keep them cool - yet isolated from room sound.

Laying out the shelfing for equipment that is modular and allows for easy access for cabling.

I was doing that to keep the ground feed as short as possible and help elimante possible ground loops/rf hotspots.

If not there than maybe on the outside edge of the foundation. The tower will be grounded too.

What do you suggest and why? And why not that way?

dxhound, sounds like you are off to a good start.
I did a similar set up with the 110v wall outlets however where I had one outlet placed under the desk, I also placed one above the desk. This allow's me to plug in the soldering iron and other frequently used accessories with out getting under the desk, stinging cords etc...It has been very convient.

A suggestion regarding the conduit for coax/controller lines...An aquantence with an HF contest station (17+ towers and various stacked yagi's for 80-10m, plus a 160m 4-square array :eek:) used the black corugated landscaping pipe (used for water drainage) with the threory that any accumulated moisture in the pipe will flow to the low spot of the pipe and weep out. He has thousands of feet of feedline ran, so it must be working for him. Good luck with the shack.

Acoustic treatment of the room itself so that it is neutral and deadens reflections. Plywood walls are much better than sheet rock for optimum sound characteristics.

Separate closet space for computer and amplifier so that noise from equipment isn't an issue. Ducting for air to keep them cool - yet isolated from room sound.

Laying out the shelfing for equipment that is modular and allows for easy access for cabling.

I dont think the xyl will let me put up plywood in the house, But I might build some sound deadeners.

There will be no closet in the room, and my amplifier is a desktop amp with blower built in. Ten Tec 425 and yaesu 2100b. now if I get around one day to building my 3cx3000 160-10/6 meter amp The ducting is a VERY good posibility!!

dxhound, sounds like you are off to a good start.
I did a similar set up with the 110v wall outlets however where I had one outlet placed under the desk, I also placed one above the desk. This allow's me to plug in the soldering iron and other frequently used accessories with out getting under the desk, stinging cords etc...It has been very convient.

A suggestion regarding the conduit for coax/controller lines...An aquantence with an HF contest station (17+ towers and various stacked yagi's for 80-10m, plus a 160m 4-square array :eek:) used the black corugated landscaping pipe (used for water drainage) with the threory that any accumulated moisture in the pipe will flow to the low spot of the pipe and weep out. He has thousands of feet of feedline ran, so it must be working for him. Good luck with the shack.

Thats pretty good ideas! I didnt think about varying height of receptacles..hhhmmmm

The corregated pipes might do the trick to. i just wish the proposed tower wasnt 350feet away. As it looks now, Im running 1/2" hardline, might use 7/8 and be done with it. $$$$$$

You can use plywood and then coat it with joint compound to make it smooth and paint-able. You/she won't notice the difference. I did my shack that way.

The resonance of sheet rock is horrible and should be avoided if possible.

Some means to make the wall absorb RF so it doesn't re-enter the shack. That could get expensive - however. Metal/aluminum siding could be employed. The roof/rafters would need something too.

Basically - any thing that a recording control room would use - would be fair game for your application . . .

You can use plywood and then coat it with joint compound to make it smooth and paint-able. You/she won't notice the difference. I did my shack that way.

The resonance of sheet rock is horrible and should be avoided if possible.

Some means to make the wall absorb RF so it doesn't re-enter the shack. That could get expensive - however. Metal/aluminum siding could be employed. The roof/rafters would need something too.

Basically - any thing that a recording control room would use - would be fair game for your application . . .

I guess I should have stated this will be on the first floor of a 2 1/2 story home.

Perhaps an out-building that is 12x15 ft, 2x8 framing with corrugated tin walls and roof?
Fully insulated. Fully bonded exterior. Steel door.
The 'man cave'!
But - we are talking about possibilities - right?

Last edited:
Just finished remodeling our family farmhouse - built in 1880 by my great-granddad. I got license to knock out walls by my siblings and make it come back to a state that is about to be rented. What a change! 5 br/2 ba/2 story with a basement and even a tornado room down there. New plumbing, electrical, central heating/air, fully insulated, new garage where there was none. Local contractor took all of my ideas and we worked them out on paper, and it looks great. Energy efficiency and maximizing cold/hot conditions in Iowa. Entrance room and laundry room added to create a buffer to ambient outside air temp. Did it economically too.

A 'man cave' might be a viable solution. Women generally run their house and like it their way. Cross them there - and a pound of flesh will be required. She might even like the idea of a man cave. Most guys will dominate the den for hunting/fishing trophies and other hobbies. But with an inexpensive build of an out building, he can have it his way and she can be happy with her house.

Last edited:
Just finished remodeling our family farmhouse - built in 1880 by my great-granddad. I got license to knock out walls by my siblings and make it come back to a state that is about to be rented. What a change! 5 br/2 ba/2 story with a basement and even a tornado room down there. New plumbing, electrical, central heating/air, fully insulated, new garage where there was none. Local contractor took all of my ideas and we worked them out on paper, and it looks great. Energy efficiency and maximizing cold/hot conditions in Iowa. Entrance room and laundry room added to create a buffer to ambient outside air temp. Did it economically too.

A 'man cave' might be a viable solution. Women generally run their house and like it their way. Cross them there - and a pound of flesh will be required. She might even like the idea of a man cave. Most guys will dominate the den for hunting/fishing trophies and other hobbies. But with an inexpensive build of an out building, he can have it his way and she can be happy with her house.

I must be one one lucky SOB. My XYL wants my room to be in the house. When I was stationed in florida I had one of the bedrooms as my mancave.

I brought up the idea of having my shack in an upstairs appt above the detached garage, and she said she would rather me be in the house where I didnt have to get wet if it was raining etc. She said its easier for her to bring me beer, but I dont see that lasting to long hihi.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.