• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

building tube linear

you can start by obtaining a fundamental working knowledge and understanding of basic electricity, basic electronics, including familiarizing yourself with identification and operating parameters of basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, (fixed and air/dielectric variable) rectifiers (diodes) etc. and the like along with a healthy dose of operational tube and solid state (transistor) theory, a basic understanding of low and high voltage power supply construction, resonant tank circuits, metal fabrication and basic rf design techniques.

any of you who build this type of equipment on a regular basis will forgive me for the brief overview as there is quite a bit to know to build an amplifier but my point to steal man is just this.

as far as i know tube amps don't come in kit form any longer and there's a lot more to building one of these than many realize. save your money and spend it on one of two things.

either save it and get yourself the necessary education and roll your own or just go buy one. if you don't have what it takes to build one from scratch and you decide to go the education route you won't have one up and operating for quite some time.

the sheer mathematics alone required to engineer any amplifier from the ground up would be enough to spin most of your heads completely off of your neck and shoulders. probably why design copying and pirating is so popular.

if you dive into a project without the necessary education (and there's a lot of it) you'll only be fooling yourself. with some rudimentary skills such as the ability to read and understand a schematic, good soldering skills and technique, metal fabrication, some basic hand tools and the ability to follow instructions you may be able to successfully construct one from a schematic and a complete parts list, including the enclosure. you're the only one who can determine that.

be warned, the high voltages (or more importantly the current these things can deliver) can and will kill you in a heartbeat and they demand a certain amount of respect from the people who work with them. more times than not the experience is not lethal, but even then we're keeping one hand in our pocket.

there's the information you requested, the decision, as always, is yours!

here's a link that may be helpful in your endeavor.

www.firecommunications.com/radio.shtml

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=freecell>freecell</A> at: 1/4/04 1:48 am

Steal Man,

Start off small, don’t try a KW on your first go. Buy a few cheap/broken ones and fix those. Sell them and work your way up.

Chris,

Not sure what type of school your enrolled in but look at it as a necessary evil. You need the basic theory down to excel in other endeavors.

Tubes aren’t electronics? I’ll have to make note of that……..

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.