• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CALIBRATING A WATTMETER

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I have four wattmeters: two Transel Mark IIA, A Drake W-4, and a Realistic Digital. Using the same radio, jumper, and dummy load, each meter gives me a different deadkey reading. They vary from 3.2 watts to 6.0. Except for the Realistic, all of these meters are at least 20 years old. I want to calibrate them, but have no idea which one to use as a reference. Is there any way to do this without using another meter as a reference? I don't have an rf ammeter either. If there's no other way, I'll use the Realistic since it's only 3 years old and still in the box, or maybe take one of them to a Cal Lab here (if I can find one).

Any suggestions ?? Thanks in advance.

You want to know which one to use as a reference? Easy. The one that reads closest to the actual applied voltage x current. You need a calibrated standard; anything besides that is a poor guess.

I have four wattmeters: two Transel Mark IIA, A Drake W-4, and a Realistic Digital. Using the same radio, jumper, and dummy load, each meter gives me a different deadkey reading. They vary from 3.2 watts to 6.0. Except for the Realistic, all of these meters are at least 20 years old. I want to calibrate them, but have no idea which one to use as a reference. Is there any way to do this without using another meter as a reference? I don't have an rf ammeter either. If there's no other way, I'll use the Realistic since it's only 3 years old and still in the box, or maybe take one of them to a Cal Lab here (if I can find one).

Any suggestions ?? Thanks in advance.

Use an oscope for calibrating.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.