• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can I make this and will it work as well as a 102" wipe

OK here is what I came up with got the match to 1.7

Antenna mounted on back of truck a full 102"

cb1.jpg

Here is the antenna mount I don't like it I will be looking for a stronger mounting bracket as this one puts to much presser on the screws were it mounts on the truck body...

cb2.jpg

S'.Bill,
Something you might think about. Since how it attaches to the vehicle would seem like the point of failure, can you think of a way to fabricate a mount that would attach to the vehicle's frame or bumper mount? I had sort of the same problem at one time, found the right shaped metal bar, welded it to the shock mounted bumper, and used a ball mount for the antenna. 'Fixed' the intermitant ground problem I had with mounting to the bumper it's self (don't ask, long story, weird 'problems). Might even go under the bumper to reach the frame?
Just wondering, how 'wobbly'/flexible is the whip?
- 'Doc

And guess what I found today laying in the ally a trailer hitch bar that fits my tailer mount now all I have to do is weld the washer that I picked up on the hitch to fill in the hole and ill have my skookum antenna mount....

think your message was good karma for me man...

W5LZ said:
S'.Bill,
Something you might think about. Since how it attaches to the vehicle would seem like the point of failure, can you think of a way to fabricate a mount that would attach to the vehicle's frame or bumper mount? I had sort of the same problem at one time, found the right shaped metal bar, welded it to the shock mounted bumper, and used a ball mount for the antenna. 'Fixed' the intermitant ground problem I had with mounting to the bumper it's self (don't ask, long story, weird 'problems). Might even go under the bumper to reach the frame?
Just wondering, how 'wobbly'/flexible is the whip?
- 'Doc

Thanks!

well let me know what the hints are on the 5/8 wave antennas

seems to get out good and very good receive some guy from texes was bleeding 4 channels over man he must have been running some serious power to do that, think it will be good for shooting skip with....so far I am happy with it....Ill see after I remount it...

MAINE680 said:
Nice looking job on it, looks all sealed up good, I would say like w5lz try and fab a metal bracket to the bumper mount some how to stiffen him up a bit. Try looking online you can probably find someone who sells 102" whips that will ship to ya up in canada. If you find that your homebrew 102" just doesn't have a good survivability Copper electronics is one that I know of. I have one kicking around the shed, but I'm not ready to part w/ it yet, I have a antenna idea that I want to try it out on. Here are some hints a 5/8ths wave center loaded mobile antenna.

Oh how well does it receive and transmit??????

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.