• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can the Yaesu VX-8DR decode $GPRMC format?

fitra

Mar 17, 2011
Hi all..

I'm currently new in APRS even I've already try a little bit on my Alinco DR-135MKIII with EJ-41 TNC Unit installed. I wondering why VX8DR can't decode position which are sending by other devices with $GPRMC format. Manual have no clearly describe that VX8DR can not decoding $GPRMC format so when I give it try to receive position that send by Alinco with $GPRMC format only displayed as a data text on VX8DR instead of position. The station list character on VX8DR displaying a question mark (?) that mean "Other Station (Include Non-Decoding Station)" when receive a $GPRMC format as a position. In the other hand position format using ! and = displayed perfectly on VX8DR. I don't understand why VX8DR doesn't support $GPRMC. I just wondering if the VX8GR can handle RAW NMEA data ($GPRMC) better than VX8DR because on VX8GR manual says : (APRS/GPS Set Mode Item 2: APRS FILTER) POSITION : When this item set to “ON”, the transceiver shows the stations which send a Position Beacon and Raw NMEA data. VX8DR's manual only says : (APRS/GPS Set Mode Item 3: APRS FILTER) POSITION : When this item set to “ON”, the transceiver shows the stations which send a Position Beacon. So, did anyone here already test VX8GR when handle a Raw NMEA data? Comment and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

It won't decode through the RF path - the GPS datastream must go through the correct pin on the VX8 accessory plug - where the overpriced GPS dongle plugs in...

Moleculo discovered something about which pin and might have followed since I looked at it. Don't know where that post is now...??? That's a job for Molecular Man!!!

This might help.

Post shows VX-8R pinout:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/39105-yaesu-vx-8r-mic-gps-cable-pinout.html

Follow the link in the 3rd post to get more details about the NMEA data and comm rate:

I did manage to get the vx-8r i have to run with another module.

The Navilock NL-507 ETTL will work. You need to set it up in Compatibility-mode, though. The VX-8's parser is pretty stupid and expects fixed numbers of digits in the NMEA sentences.

one sentence i recorded was:
$GPGGA,201613.000,4340.7221,S,07920.6194,E,1,00,1. 0,134.6,M,-35.3,M,,*7D

The VX-8 expects 9600 Baud NMEA,

$GPGGA
$GPRMC
$GPZDA

Ok, It's clear me that VX8DR can't decode $GPRMC through RF Path. Actually I want this feature is built in on VX8DR firmware just like FTM-350R/AR. How about VX8GR? Can VX8GR (with GPS built in) decode Raw NMEA data such $GPRMC through RF Path?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.