• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

can you 'funnel' signal from different channels?

shortwave

Jun 5, 2010
or something like that......

i'm working on a project and we're trying to figure out if it's possible and how
to do this:

- there is one walkie talkie hooked up to a megaphone and i want to distribute
multiple talkies [about 5] to people and be able to receive their
signal/transmission at the same time thru the megaphone.

this is what i'm looking to get:

Amazon.com: Cobra CXT90 Gmrs/Frs 2-Way Rechargeable Radio with Hands Free Operation (Black…

thx in advance.....

If you hook the output (speaker) to that megaphone, you will hear anything on one channel. If those other five radios are on the same channel, and if they transmit one at a time, you will hear each of them. If you are wanting to hear all of those radios at the same time (they're not taking turns) then things get a bit more complicated, and you can forget a simple or inexpensive radio system. You would basically need a separate channel for each of those five 'satellite' radios, be able to combine the audio from each receiver into one input to that megaphone. The price of the system just went up by at least one order of magnitude. I seriously doubt if you will find a GMRS or FRS system capable of that. What kind of budget are you contemplating? And exactly what are you trying to do?
- 'Doc

hey doc......this is for an art project and yes, we're on a tight budget that's why we're trying to figure out how affordable it is to set up a system like that. could you tell me what i need to get in order to have a setup where ppl
could transmit at the same time? and any kind of description and/or info on how the system works would be appreciated.....

If you hook the output (speaker) to that megaphone, you will hear anything on one channel. If those other five radios are on the same channel, and if they transmit one at a time, you will hear each of them. If you are wanting to hear all of those radios at the same time (they're not taking turns) then things get a bit more complicated, and you can forget a simple or inexpensive radio system. You would basically need a separate channel for each of those five 'satellite' radios, be able to combine the audio from each receiver into one input to that megaphone. The price of the system just went up by at least one order of magnitude. I seriously doubt if you will find a GMRS or FRS system capable of that. What kind of budget are you contemplating? And exactly what are you trying to do?
- 'Doc

If you wanted five separate people talking at the same time you would need as a minimum five PAIRS of radios which each pair on a different frequency. One radio of each pair would be to TX and the other corresponding radio would have to have it's receiver output tied to an audio mixer to control the level from each radio as well as provide isolation from each radio's audio stage. The output of the audio mixer would be fed into the megaphone. Not that expensive or complicated to do IF you are handy with a soldering iron and know a little bit about sound systems.

My imagination isn't doing to well with figuring out what you would be doing, so I hesitate to make any recommendations at all.
There are several 'wireless microphone' type thingys around, basically used in a public address system type situation. I don't have any current information about them, but would guess that you aren't talking about a '$29.95' type deal. A theatrical supply house would probably be one fairly good source, and I'm sure there are others. If you expect any 'hi-fidelity' you just made another one of those order of magnitude jumps.
I'm afraid that isn't much help, sorry.
- 'Doc

thx, this all makes sense and it is pretty much what i'm trying to do....
do you know if there is a sort of 'receiver' that would be able to receive
all the signals at once which in return i could re-transmit afterwards?
i mean a receiver that's made for walkie talkies.....

If you wanted five separate people talking at the same time you would need as a minimum five PAIRS of radios which each pair on a different frequency. One radio of each pair would be to TX and the other corresponding radio would have to have it's receiver output tied to an audio mixer to control the level from each radio as well as provide isolation from each radio's audio stage. The output of the audio mixer would be fed into the megaphone. Not that expensive or complicated to do IF you are handy with a soldering iron and know a little bit about sound systems.

thx, this all makes sense and it is pretty much what i'm trying to do....
do you know if there is a sort of 'receiver' that would be able to receive
all the signals at once which in return i could re-transmit afterwards?
i mean a receiver that's made for walkie talkies.....

NSDOTM = No Such Device On The Market. Well nothing that anyone short of government funds could afford to buy. Multichannel receivers do exist but are used in commercial or government applications which mean $$,$$$.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.