• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

channels to avoid

These frequencies were ONCE widely used, but not so much anymore.

I am quite sure people will respond that I am mistaken, but oh well, you'll have that.

The "Woodpecker" was the name given specifically to the OTH radar known by Western intelligence as The Steel Yard. It was known by the Russians as Duga-3 and was outside Chernobyl, Ukraine. The Woodpecker went silent about 1990. I haven't heard the woodpecker type radar in many,many years,probably since 1990. There are other types of OTH radar systems in operation that sound different than the old Woodpecker signal.

Some other countries may use OTH. I think we rely on differing methods.

I rarely see any FCC enforcement violations posted concerning freeband aficionados being busted, fined, spanked or chastised.

If all these taboo frequencies were critical to the missions of the various agencies mentioned... I think we'd seen some evidence of enforcement.

The "Woodpecker" was the name given specifically to the OTH radar known by Western intelligence as The Steel Yard. It was known by the Russians as Duga-3 and was outside Chernobyl, Ukraine. The Woodpecker went silent about 1990. I haven't heard the woodpecker type radar in many,many years,probably since 1990. There are other types of OTH radar systems in operation that sound different than the old Woodpecker signal.
Regardless of who has it; they are using it.
It is still there.
Every day over the last month and more.
Jams everything out there.

Regardless of who has it; they are using it.
It is still there.
Every day over the last month and more.
Jams everything out there.

Just like I said, there are other types of OTH radar in operation and I have not heard THE Woodpecker since it went QRT in late .89/90. The Duga-3 site has been abandoned. The USA itself uses relocatable OTH radar and is a major source of QRM as well as China

Just like I said, there are other types of OTH radar in operation and I have not heard THE Woodpecker since it went QRT in late .89/90. The Duga-3 site has been abandoned. The USA itself uses relocatable OTH radar and is a major source of QRM as well as China

I was thinking the same thing and this topic came up in anther post a while back. I think good ole' fashioned "asshattery" is responsible for these noises. There was even a guy planted on 28.400 about two weeks ago broadcasting some bizzare distress message about corruption in Alaska and the US govt being the largest drug dealer in the world with a giant drug production facility under the Alaskan tundra...:blink: etc, etc..I turned the vfo and ran the other way.

Ah China and it's QRM! The guys in Thailand have mention that to me several times about the QRM coming from there.

The guys in Europe are also getting QRM from Russia with the FM from the Taxi drivers - 11 meters I think
mostly.......
I know I sure hear it a lot from my QTH in the afternoon's.

Ah China and it's QRM! The guys in Thailand have mention that to me several times about the QRM coming from there.

The guys in Europe are also getting QRM from Russia with the FM from the Taxi drivers - 11 meters I think
mostly.......
I know I sure hear it a lot from my QTH in the afternoon's.

Ольга любит 11-метровые операторы

Я люблю Ольгу

OTHR site in Maine

The US had a OTHR site in Moscow Maine....The signals I hear today are not the same as the ones from memory in the 70-80's but they are very similar. Today signals are much sharper in tone not as fuzzy around the edges if I remember.....But that may be my FUZZY memory ??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.