• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CHIRP Univ. Spreadsheet Prog. Soft for HT's Baofeng etc....

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Last week I jumped into the Chinese HT fray and ebay'd up me a BFeng UV-5R Plus.

Could repeat all the earlier comments already on here. Generally impressed with performance and features. Disgusted with the pathetic excuse for a manual. Was able to glean basic operation for the manual but laughed at how it made no mention whatsoever of how to access certain features like the Flashlight and FM Broadcast Radio features. And forget even trying to program up a pile of memory channels manually ..... a real fool's errand.

Unpleasantly surprised at the FEMALE SMA antenna. All my other on-hand adapters and antennas were MALE SMA from past Icom and Cobra handhelds .... so back to ebay to buy more.

Local friend also provided the tip of the CHIRP programming freeware. Is spreadsheet style and covers dozens of radios across many different manufacturers. He and all his guys use this exclusively and don't even bother with any of the manufacturer's direct software. Says easy & excellent. Linky here:

Home - CHIRP

Also, another fellow has rewritten the "manuals" (Ha!) to numerous Chinese HT's which covers to most asked questions and omissions and is another excellent resource. Linky:

http://wouxun.us/Software/Baofeng/Guide_to_UV5R_by_Lidberg_&_Unroe.pdf

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.