• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Christmas light bulb

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Hi guys and gals.
The backlight in my Pro 2052 scanner is blown out. can I replace it with a miniature christmas light bulb. Do ya think it will get too hot.
It calls for a 8v 2amp.
I dont know what a xmas bulb is.
Thanks

I wouldn't, try going to Radio Shack and see what kinda lamps/bulbs they got.

T23

I use LED's for all my replacement radio bulbs. Not hard to install. Pick any color you want. All the white types are 3.2 forward volts. Add a 560 ohm 1/8th or 1/4 watt resistor in series with either leg of the LED and connect to 12volts inside the scanner. Note that LED's are polarized with a + and a - leg.

Or you can search for an 8V exact replacement incandescent bulb.

The scanner is a Radio Shack product and they can order you a bulb at any store as a replacement part if they don't have one on the shelf.

Good luck

Yes, the LED replacement would be better, maby even brighter...

Maby put them in a series...Yes?

T23

I use the christmas style LED bulbs with the resistor as posted above and you can get them in different colors and cost less for a whole string than getting them in packets and you have lots of spares.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio