• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Clarifier in Cobra 148

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I found a few different ways to do it but was wondering if anyone out here has a meathod?? Also the wire colors they say are different in the radio I have here. they say theres an orange wire and a red wire but the red wire im looking for may also be yellow ok now heres rhe problem the radio i have here has 3 wires first wire starting from right on clarifier is orange middle wire or second wire is light blue and the third or last wire is green so there is no red heres one of the mods I was looking at(CLARIFIER:
1. Cut one side of R44 and D52. Remove R174 and solder a jumper wire in its place.
2. Follow the RED WIRE from the clarifier control to where it connects to the PC board and cut it loose.
3. Solder this RED WIRE to the circuit board ground.
NOTE: Some radios have a YELLOW WIRE instead of the RED WIRE.
4. Follow the ORANGE WIRE from the clarifier control to where it connects to the PC board and UNSOLDER it.
5. Resolder this ORANGE WIRE to pin 3 of the MB3756 regulator.
With any luck, you should slide about 5Kz down and 1Kz up

what number pc board is it ? What year and who made it ?
YELLOW instead of ORANGE and RED instead of BLUE

Yah I know there is usually one on the edge of the board and i cant find it . Ill keep looking I know there has to be one. I havent looked at the foil side of the board yet so I will post it when I open it.

Anyone else have a clarifier mod for this 148 i cant find the 8 volt sources the mention hooking into one mod said C-84 one other said IC-4 Grrrrrr this is frustrating LMAO. never had this much greif finding parts and locations on these boards ever :x

if you will look next to the pll you will see a large electrolytic capacitor .one leg goes to ground the other to 8 volts.this is where you can find 8 volts for your mod

taking ithe orange wire off the board and putting it on pin 3 of MB3756 .....that's your 8 volt source ......there's also another 8 volt source in a empty hole right next to R-137(use a volt meter to make sure) .....Your radio is basically the same layout as the Texas Ranger 296 .....i would guess to say that most just use the pin 3 on the MB3756 ....keep at it.....you'll figure it Tony ..... you might have to also adjust for center slot as well once you do figure it out. Good Luck

yupp adjustments are usually needed after the mods I seldom see it where I dont have to . now can you give me a idea where MB3756 is at??? also the green wire would go to mground correct?? and the midle blue wire is left untouched. I have seen like 3 or 4 mods 4 this and they all say something different. I8 just want a basic guaranteed way to do this.

sonoma there are 2 caps one infront of the final and one to the left im thinking to the left is the one i need ???

dxChat
Help Users