• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cleaner..pots/board

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
I picked up old sears road talker, and it needs cleaned inside, pots<controls> on am/lsb/usb are real scratchy when switched, any suggestions on what to use to spray with?
tnx
doctor :shock:

Pick up a can of switch and contact cleaner at Radio Shack.That's what it is for.Some people use WD-40 but it can cause problems with some types of plastics which with my luck I would end up having. :? I use a brand called Nu-Trol from M.G. Chemicals and available from various retailers up here. It is a cleaner and lubricant.

WD-40 will work , but that stuff stinks !! and could also make the control worse after time becuase other dirty crap will have something to stick even better to )-: lighter fluid will work as well it just depends on what ? fluid will dry very fast with the odor disapating quickly unlike WD-40 and drys clean unlike WD-40. These are just cheap quick ways of getting the job done. 10.00 bucks a can for some good stuff is the way to go , especially if you plan on using it often ? if not and it's only for a Ebay special that your just trying to bring back to life , 1.29 cent can of Ronson Lighter Fluid will work in the controls just spray a stream in the control as carefully as you can to isolate it from other radio parts,shack out any excess and work the control back and forth for a minute or so , this would pretty much apply to anything you might use. The good stuff always seems to be under some pretty strong pressure out and if you can afford the extra cash I would certainly go that direction. Good luck to you.

I use CRC as well.....just make sure it's the QD (quick dry) type and make it's safe for plastics. I learned that the hard way....thought I'd save a few bucks and bought some CRC in the red can (for cleaning electric motors) at an auto parts store. Sprayed out the pots in my "Galaxy" Pluto, a little got in the meter and melted the glue that holds the plastic "sticker" with the S/TX/SWR numbers to it, had to take the meter apart to re-glue it. :oops:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.