• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 23 help

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
I bought a cobra 23 off of ebay. I hooked it up and it comes on and transmits fine. but i cant recieve. If i watch the meter when i talk on a different cb, and the recieve meter moves with my voice. but cant hear myself on the speaker. i even tried to hook it up to external speaker,but nothing. wondering if anyone would know what would cause this. thanks

The cobra 23 radios were notorious for cold solder joints. Remove the top cover and use something non metallic to prod around on the board to see if it jumps back in. I like to use a capped sharpie marker.

If that doesn't fix it, you're going to want to start checking the audio chain from the audio IC to the speaker. The audio IC itself is more than likely working correctly or you wouldn't have transmit audio (would only make a dead carrier on tx)

I may have the schematic for that radio somewhere. If I do, I'll post it here so you can start doing some checking.

I had the squelch turned all the way down, and had my pickup right next to it, and couldnt hear myself any. But when i talked on it i could hear myself on my pickups speaker

One test you could do to see if the squelch transistor is shorted is to turn the squelch all the way up and down a few times, listen closely to see if you hear a click or a pop out of the speaker. If you do, the circuit is fine but lies in the audio section before the squelch circuit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.