• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29 help

Trainwreck

Aug 4, 2012
i got a cobr29 i have been building, its got erf-2030 final echo, an nitro knobs. but now it has no modulation, or swing anybodnow where i should sta to figure this out

Did you check it between mods or did you do it all at once? My guess off the top of my head would be the fet. Use your volt meter and check the screw head and the transistor tab for continuity. I think it should read about 500. If it beeps you got a problem. I'm guessing since you knew how to do all of that then you knew to use an insulator. If you didn't use the little plastic washer to separate the screw then you got the same prob. If this happened you probably blew the fet.

Did you use the ekl part? Or make your own? Double check your polarity. Also there is a resistor, and I can't remember off the top of my head, that it's 15k to ground for static. When I installed an rfx75 one time I fried that bad boy and left a pretty black mark on the inside of my new radio. Replace with a high volt cap 33pf or so then use as half watt resistor on the under side. I've done several of these fet mods and a lot of people dog them but the fact is that they are bad ass, worth it, and work really well if you can manage to get the fet working in a linear fashion.. not easy.. this is why they call my radios "snake radios"... haters.. with a variable power installation of dead key reduction the fet mod work great with small 2 pill amps and such.. the point I was trying to make that didn't choke out was.. more than a couple times I did this I had to re replace the fet bc it blew some how.. I would start there man. Check continuity between your gate-source and gate drain to see if the diode burnt out. I get a few of those fet s every order I make for experiments. I hope you have a few as well.. if you knew every thing I'm telling you then maybe some one smarter cab chime in. Rob helps me a lot. Pics help too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.