• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 trucker radio opinions needed

AA1QD

May 2, 2005
www.ranv.org
My friend wants me to build him a cobra 29, the super loud channel 19 hammer type, we all know what I mean. Rf Limited echo yada yada. Now my question, he will not be running a linear, and can't have a rfx type device, so this will be a barefoot radio, 1.-should I do the RC mod, and what carrier will sound the best? 2.-should I change to a erf2030? 3. -should I do a rc mod and a erf2030? help me out guys, this radio really needs to be a audiomonster to make him happy.

You might start with a Galaxy 919 radio. Already has a mosfet and they tune up to some strong numbers. With a decent mic and echo board you would be there. You might even be able to do a dual mosfet mod to it and probably hammer out 55 watts er so.

if the radio gets out good now I would put the echo in it and do the rc mod if it needs more audio and see how it sounds. then you could always do the mosfet mod last to make the decision if it is needed or not.
be sure to peak and tune the radio before the rc mod . it does not tune as good after the fact.

Reactions: 1 person
a 68 ohm res will give it a 2 watt carrier, use a 1000uf cap compared to the 220uf, gives better audio. Set him up with a talkback 100ohm res with a switch so he's not asking for echo checks constantly, lol.

Oh....no amp, i missed that, oop's, lol. Look into the Mosfet 520 mod, only 3 parts, trans, diode & res. that would get it close to a 959 peak watt's. But if the bug really bites him, remind him if he decides to get & run a box to lower the carrier.

do the IRF520 mosfet mod to it, then give it a full tune up using a modulated carrier when tuning the coils.

turn up the modulation pot, but dont clip any diodes.

increase the value of the main filter cap on the board from 1000uF to 2200uF.(its the biggest cap on the board toward the rear near the power plug)

i agree with the talkback mod if he's gonna run echo, but put it on a switch or variable pot with an off switch.

and tell him NOT to try using a power mic.

there is a thread on here somewhere about a "50 watt" mod for the 29LTD, and it is pretty good.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.