• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89 GTL Frequency Addition Board?????

The Beast

The Beast KJB3896 Texas
May 10, 2012
Beaumont, Texas
Just got an old Cobra 89 GTL, almost free. It's operating but needs some cleaning up.

But the guy I got it from says it has been modified for upper and lower frequencies. I opened the unit up and there is a small PC board,and a 3position switch added on the edge of the board. A couple of X-tals on the board, one Transister, a couple of Var Resistors, and a few caps and resistors.

I am trying to figure out what frequencies are being selected. Center position is normal 1 - 40. There are two other positions on the switch :headbang

But without an inline Freq Counter I have no idea. I have a Ranger RCI2970 and can step thru channels but they are too close together on their antennas to really determine anything. Too much bleed everywhere.

Can any one give any info on it? I took a picture of the board, maybe I can get it posted.

Attachments

• Cobra 89GTL Extra Freq. Board.jpg
    Cobra 89GTL Extra Freq. Board.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5

That radio has the Expo 100 "N" kit in it. One crystal will get you 40 channels below channel 1 (26.515-26.955), and the other crystal gets you 40 channels above 40 (27.415-27.855). Nice 'lil addition to your radio! It's a keeper.

~Cheers~

Reactions: tecnicoloco
**Jump_im**

Thanks, I thought it may have been one of the Expo Kits. I had just never seen one before.

Thanks for the info. I'll at least know what frequencies I'm at.

(y)(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.