• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Congress wants to restore "technical expertise" to FCC

If hams are disallowed at the FCC then ALL radio operators of ALL services shpuld be disallowed. That includes CB'ers, they might lobby for legalization of freeband freqs., and even business licensees as they may sway the government into taking freqs. away from one service and give to business users. Ooooops, that already happened. FEDEX I believe it was convinced the FCC to steal 3 MHz away from the hams to use for business purposes and in the end they never used the freq allocation and the hams never got it back either. In the end I personally think that it is quite unrealistic to think that the hams that are at the FCC are calling the shots. The FCC has SOOOOOO much more to look after than just simply radio communications. They cover everything from receiving junk faxes to broadcasting, to the do-not-call registry. Maybe hams are responsible for all those unsolicited faxes from HRO etc. :D
I'm sure the fcc feels this way sometimes.

bruce.jpg

[QUOTE=mackmobile43;169552]I do not hate hams, I hate that hams are allowed to control what the FCC does in that many of the top members there hold Amateur licenses and are obviously partisan.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe this is accurate. If you read the "employment" notices at the FCC's site, you will see that most ALL Field Engineers MUST have a 4 year degree in Electonic Engineering, "Hams", per se, do not "run" FCC. The fact that some, or part of them hold an Amateur license is actually irrevelant to the job: rather, it is an offshoot of their prior commitment to electronics as a profession. If they also happen to LIKE electronics, it is just natural that a number of them MAY hold a ticket. WHAT would they be "partisan" about? The fact, for example, that CB has restrictions on power and frequencies that amateur radio doesn't? If the rules say a certain thing, then it is a matter of upholding the rules and seeing the regulations are followed. IF you "banned" the engineers from holding amateur licenses, I don't believe it would have any affect at all. Rules is rules, and, even WITHOUT an amateur ticket, a field agent is required to enforce the rules according to the appropriate Part of US Code--no matter if it's CB, ham, or broadcast radio.

CWM

"Amateur police thy self"

If you go back to the 'Hollingsworth era", you will see that he did exactly that! Prior to his arrival, amateur radio had become a TOTAL cesspool, and one frequency in particular comes to mind: 14.313 where you could hear the most VILE and filthy talk ever. These people, who did NOT deserve the ticket to begin with, were completely emboldened by the lack of enforcement and felt they could do anything they liked. He certainly clamped down on this and made amateur radio quite civil. There's always going to be exceptions and people who will test the limits of what they can get away with. The majority of hams don't like the vulgarity, infantile behavior, and it is a sure indicator of the intellectual level of a "ham" that feels that every word must be a vulgarity or sexual remark in order to be valid. When I hear someone say, 'I miss the old '14.313 days', I can't help wonder just what sort of level of humanity "longs" for the lower "dregs" of behavior, and, rightly or wrongly, I form an opinion of that person, at least a small measure of doubt until they prove otherwise. Anyone that "longs" for foul language and argument on the air is suspect AFAIAC, and I simply avoid these mental midgets----ham or otherwise.

CBers often go on about "them hammies" and "them hammies will snitch you out".......................well, what YOU may think is "snitching" someone out, for example, is a measure of the self-policing you speak of! Sure, most of us hams WILL report rules violations, behavior violations, and technical violations. They will also report intruders who have no license and no permission to BE on the ham bands. Since a lot of these people happen to be CBers (because of the illegal '10 Meter' radios mostly), there's more attention paid to the issue, and the hams are more likely to "snitch out" or SEEK out someone who is filching the bands. But it is also
what keeps ham radio from becoming a cesspool like another band I know of:laugh:! You can't have it both ways; you've either got to have enforcement, RULES to go by and order, OR...........................you'll get what so many people in 11 Meters and even some hams WANT: Mayhem, disorder, and a radio system that becomes unusable! And, Yes, Hollingworth IS a ham. He quickly became a THORN in the side of both outlaw-type hams AND CBers who intruded into the ham bands. I doubt he played any favorites; he was pretty FAIR, but STERN. He meant what he said!

FCC is NOT, never has been, will never WILL be kitty cat "purrrrr-fect", all fuzzy and warm. They'll never be able to please everybody. Yet a person, particularly someone who knows a little about radio, either from college training, or just plain experience, can realize that the rules the Feds have actually ain't all that bad. Still, one group wants things THIS way, another wants it THAT way. In the case of CB radio, we often forget that the USA is NOT the only country that uses 27 MHZ, and our often WILD and unbridled antics with amplifiers and "extra" channels cause angst for other nations/users as well. That's why FCC is supposed to keep somewhat of a "lid" on radio. For the last 20 years or so, they haven't done a really good job because of it's becoming populated with politicians rather than TECHNICIANS over those 20-25 years. It is that very politicizing of FCC that has led to the lack of enforcement and technical expertise that exists now, IMHO. If anything they need to enforce MORE, not LESS! And I hope the new spate of additional Field Engineers and Managers at the top level will accomplish that goal: it is LONG overdue! And that enforcement also needs to include the outlaw clowns on 75 Meters, as well! Fair's fair, ain't it? :angry:

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.