• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connecting New Antenna to Old Radio

Tube Era Tuner

Jul 30, 2022
Hello, first post, first of many questions.
I've got a 1953 Hallicrafters S-38C that's in good working order. Having some disappointing results with reception. I ran a 32 foot long (all the space available) single wire antenna in my attic that runs roughly north-south. I live in California's Central Valley. I get great AM reception, but shortwave reception is disappointing (can receive WWV and occasional late evening broadcast from Radio New Zealand, but beyond that just mostly faint signals with a terrible signal-to-noise ratio).
Attic Antenna.jpg

After reading a bunch of rave reviews about the MLA-30+ antenna, I ordered one. Plan to hang it from the ceiling in an upstairs room where the radio lives, in a way that will allow the loop to be rotated to get the best reception. Only problem is that like every other purpose-built antenna it comes with a coaxial lead, and my radio isn't exactly set up for that:
Antenna Screws.jpg

So my question is what sort of adapter(s) do I need in order to connect the antenna to my radio? I'm good with electrical fabrication (I held an IPC J-STD-001 soldering certificate with Space Addendum while working at NASA, fabricated an endless array of diagnostic cables for 18 months at the National Ignition Facility, etc.) but I don't know jack about electronics or radio theory.

Oh, this tidbit from the owner's manual might be helpful:
Antenna Instructions.JPG

I also have a full schematic if that's helpful.

20220730_120815.jpg

Thanks!

Bill

Reactions: secret squirrel

That is an F (75 Ohms impedance coaxial) to 300 Ohms impedance (twinlead) transformer, to use coaxial cable to the antenna instead of twinlead. The MLA "box" has F connectors on it, so should work fine.

Great! As stated, I'm good with hardware and hands-on stuff, but my understanding of electronics and radio are extremely limited.
MLA-30+.jpg

There is a size discrepancy between the (SMA?) connectors on the "box" and the F-type connector on the adapter. I ordered a pair of these:
Amazon product ASIN B00CVTT8XIHopefully that'll take care of things.

Thanks

Oops, I thought that was an F connector. Could get an F Female to SMA adaptor from eBay or Amazon,
414An9TLEXL._AC_.jpg

I got a set of these from Amazon for my Nano-VNA (Vector Network Analyzer and Tiny-SA (Spectrum Analyzer) kits.

Reactions: Tube Era Tuner

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.