• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex CX-3300HP no 10m/11m freqs

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got a Connex CX-3300HP on the desk today.

Symptoms:
Frequencies out of whack, bands not right. No 11m, 10m frequencies.

Checked VCO voltage. Won't go any higher than 1.84v on any band. If I bottom out the VCO then the 11m pops in barely. Bottomed out equals the highest voltage it will go, 1.84v.

Would this indicate a bad VCO coil, with it having to be bottomed out?

Got a 148 that has to have all the PLL Offset oscillators bottomed out just to be on frequency.

Well, got the frequencies back in line. VCO is no longer bottomed out, it's about 2 to 3 full turns from the bottom. VCO voltage still low on that resistor lead, gonna check the VCO voltage on the PLL pin that resistor goes to. All bands work as they should now. Just kept fiddling with the VCO til it hit at the right spot.

Now, I have to do the following:
Replace passthrough regulator due to it getting scorching hot within seconds of keying up. Someone has a swing mod strapped across the regulator, TR32 removed, R249 removed and R238 has the wrong TYPE of resistor in its spot.

Replace certain caps.
Replace R249, TR32 and original resistor in R238 spot.
Replace AF regulator.
Replace 8v regulator.
Reset bias.
Reset key levels.
Complete alignment.

People yank out necessary controls so they can install toys (junk), lol...

Heck, I just went through a Galaxy DX-979 that wasn't keying. Upon evaluation, I found someone had taken out the clarifier control, taped it up and laid it inside the radio, just so they could install an echo control in its place.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.