• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CONTEX 6801 (2 X 6JG6)

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
I picked this up for couple of bucks the other day at the sawp meet . Very clean , IM just wondering how many amps I would need for it ? I hooked it up on a 50 amp Astron power supply with dummy load with radio doing 2 to 20 or so , I basically tuned it for swing , my DK was 40 watts and my audio swing was just over 100 watts pep ballpark , IM really not familure with the amp so I thought I would hopefully ask somebody that might have a clue about it ? It's really a mobile linear . My amps meter on the supply was swinging pretty good .(I've always wondered how accurate those are?) Sure appreciate any help I can get on this one. Thanks SK

picture2jl6.jpg

Switch, 100 watts pep is probably as good as it gets out of 2 small tubes. The thing to remember about running a tube amplifier (mobile) is not to leave it turned on when not in use, it'll run your car battery down.

You can run it in the house but you probably have a high pitched whine from the transistor switching supply.

copy on the germanium transistors ??? the whine is really not to bad on this one , would you say about 25 amp draw or less on this one ? so the drive sounds about right then ? I think it should still make for nice for a little extra on a base set up,I doubt I would ever put it in a ride. thanks

Switch Kit,
I think you're seeing about what you should normally see, probably. Only real way to know is by looking at the tube's specs and making a -reasonable- guess. The 'keyword' is reasonable.
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc , I'll leave well enough alone and go with it as is for now , it will surely be a plus situation on a base that's only running a tuned radio for the time being , these little tubers usually go fairly quick. For it's age , this one is very clean and from the numbers , I think these little tubes are just doing fine for what they are.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.