• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Convert FRS to PMR

rsksmiles

Mar 19, 2011
Hello I have bought 4 midland GXT 1000 walkie talkies which use FRS. Is it possible to convert them to PMR for use in Europe??

Thanks in advance

I have poked and prodded at many cheap FRS/GMRS radios and yet to see anything resembling solder pads or jumpers, the usual setup for changing frequencies at the factory for different countries. Try pressing buttons too.

I found this for an Audiovox

Here are radio secrets I have found using some of my radios that I have:

Audiovox 1545 CH GMRS/FRS Frequency Mod

Turn on the radio while pressing the mode and left arrow butten down. It might take a couple times to do this. If you can get it to work you will see a number with a dot over it. Press mode unitll the display says 99 on it. If you press the right arrow the radio will reset and the mod will not work!

Press the left arrow butten and select a channel. I went down to channel 40 and I could hear police. If you go to channel 40 you will be on 462.10 MHz. DO NOT transmitt on channels 39 - 99. These are all public safty bands. They range from 462.10 - 468.10 MHz.

If you scan around those channels you will find some cool stuff to listen to. I bought 2 of these radios for $99.99 each. I got about a 3 mile range on 2 watts of power. I would say that this is the best GMRS/FRS radio I have ever owned.

Alex, KD8BVS

Perhaps at least one manufacture made a radio with programming for both EU and USA.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.