• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cutting amc limiter ..BUT ONLY USING STOCK MIC Question

D

drifter 8291

Ok I know that cutting the amc limiter can cause splatter ect especially with a power mic. But what I was wondering was what about cutting it and only using a stock mic? Would this cause splatter, Would it improve modulation on the stock mic? What is everyone opinion on this and what are your experiences on this.. The radio I was thinking of doing this on is a Cobra 148 gtl... I would prefer running a stock mic anyway cause I prefer it on sideband but would like a little more umph for AM without going to a power mic....

</p>

Ok I know that cutting the amc limiter can cause splatter ect especially with a power mic. But what I was wondering was what about cutting it and only using a stock mic? Would this cause splatter, Would it improve modulation on the stock mic? What is everyone opinion on this and what are your experiences on this.. The radio I was thinking of doing this on is a Cobra 148 gtl... I would prefer running a stock mic anyway cause I prefer it on sideband but would like a little more umph for AM without going to a power mic....

</p>

Hi,

by using a stock mic you are probably wasting your time anyway cutting out the limiter, as the stock mic usually wont be able to push it loud enough anyway (unless you shout into the mic).

Secondly I highly recommend that you DO NOT DISABLE IT !

The limiter is there for a reason, cutting it out instead of modifying it can cause far more problems then doing it properly.

For example, if the limiter is left intact, but modified to allow the radio to give 100% mod (which is what I ALWAYS do), you can drive it with a louder mic, which will make it act a little better, as the quieter audio levels can be made louder, while the higher levels will be trimmed back, the result, a NICER modulation level, and better talk power, this is true as long as it is not overdriven, otherwise it will be clipping it all the time, which can create distortion.

Cut the track the connects to the middle leg of TR24 and bridge the cut with a 1KOhm resistor, this should alter the limiter sensitity to bring your mod up a great deal (as long as you are driving it with enough audio in the first place to reach the limiting point).

You may need to play with the resistor value a little, I find that 1K is usually about right, sometimes it may need to be between 600 Ohms - 1.5K.

The poeple I do radios for ALWAYS comment that they are told by others about how loud the radio sounds,(even with the limiter still intact), I have never had anyone come back and say it wasn't loud enough.

I hope this helps you.

The Defpom

www.radiomods.co.nz/

www.TheDefpom.com

www.s-and-m-software.com</p>

Hi,

by using a stock mic you are probably wasting your time anyway cutting out the limiter, as the stock mic usually wont be able to push it loud enough anyway (unless you shout into the mic).

Secondly I highly recommend that you DO NOT DISABLE IT !

The limiter is there for a reason, cutting it out instead of modifying it can cause far more problems then doing it properly.

For example, if the limiter is left intact, but modified to allow the radio to give 100% mod (which is what I ALWAYS do), you can drive it with a louder mic, which will make it act a little better, as the quieter audio levels can be made louder, while the higher levels will be trimmed back, the result, a NICER modulation level, and better talk power, this is true as long as it is not overdriven, otherwise it will be clipping it all the time, which can create distortion.

Cut the track the connects to the middle leg of TR24 and bridge the cut with a 1KOhm resistor, this should alter the limiter sensitity to bring your mod up a great deal (as long as you are driving it with enough audio in the first place to reach the limiting point).

You may need to play with the resistor value a little, I find that 1K is usually about right, sometimes it may need to be between 600 Ohms - 1.5K.

The poeple I do radios for ALWAYS comment that they are told by others about how loud the radio sounds,(even with the limiter still intact), I have never had anyone come back and say it wasn't loud enough.

I hope this helps you.

The Defpom

www.radiomods.co.nz/

www.TheDefpom.com

www.s-and-m-software.com</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.