• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Deadkeying & swing

Just A dumb question. How can I test for deadkey & what my radio swing's @. Present tools I have is a Radioshack SWR/Power meter.

radioshack_swr_meter.jpg

Please be as specific as possible :D

gohusan,
The 'quick-n-dirty' way is to calibrate, turn mic-gain down, punch mic button, take the 'dead key' reading. Turn mic gain back to where ever you normally use it, key mic, talk or whistle, take the 'swing' reading. Want to change the 'type' of reading, pep or average? Flip the appropriate switch (why, I don't know, but whatever).
Is that all that accurate? Probably as much as anyone else's...
- 'Doc

I know, I know it sounds stupit but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. :oops: one thing I didn't do it right was that mic gain. cause I was having problems reading correctlly the bottom meter. The other part was how to test for the swing I asked but was somewhat unsure. That's how come I came here. "IF UNSURE ASK DIRECTIONS". :p :p :p

test your swing by putting you meter in the power function, turn mic gain up and hold a steady "ahhhhh" in the mic to measure your forward power (swing). If you peg out the meter all the way to the right, set the power level to the next highest setting.

...and the reason for turning the mic gain down is that you don't want any 'accidental' audio on the 'dead key' when you measure it. That make a lot of difference? Probably not a huge amount. Except for people like the ones that even when they are absolutely quiet, you can hear the dog scratch in the garage. But, that's the exception, not the 'rule'. Isn't it?
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
W5LZ said:
...and the reason for turning the mic gain down is that you don't want any 'accidental' audio on the 'dead key' when you measure it. That make a lot of difference? Probably not a huge amount. Except for people like the ones that even when they are absolutely quiet, you can hear the dog scratch in the garage. But, that's the exception, not the 'rule'. Isn't it?
- 'Doc

I like the ones where you can hear the blower in the amp running. :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.