• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Decided to go to battery need advice.

Just some advice

Try to get a DC circuit breaker, they are cheap on eBay and are able to be reset.
I am a big fan of circuit breakers over fuses.

Just my opinion

Reactions: 1 person
Auto zone has fuses that can be bolted to the radio leads and to the battery....that voltage drop link is your friend ..... Be sure the leads are large enough to carry the radio load at maximum. KØBG.COM is a mobile radio install website check it out ....it is great all sorts of goodies

For the purpose of protecting the vehicle from damage caused by a shorted/shorting burnt wire you can use a 'fusible link.'
I think all of the auto manufacturers use at least one fusible link in all the vehicles that they make.
A fusbile link is just simply a short length of wire that has a sufficiently reduced wire guage relative to the guage of the wire that you are adding to the vehicle so that if the wire gets pinched or rubbed enough the insulation will give way and if it is pinched or rubbed against the frame or sheet metal then it can cause considerable damage and inconvenience.
The 'fusible link' would be installed at the point of where you are taking the power from, (in this case; the battery) with consideration to proximaty of other objects that it could damage in the event of that it does its job.
It should probably be about six inches long and of a guage that will allow it to burn open without further damage to anything near it in the event that the main wire somehow becomes grounded or shorted to the vechicles metal structure.
There is probably sufficient knowledge about what guage to use for your specific current (amperage) needs on the internet in multiple places.

?

Cant i go with radios stock cable 2 feet cut into 12 awg into a 12 awg fuse holder connected with butt connectors then to the battery?Im thinking this

JT&T Products (2466F) - In-Line Glass Fuseholder with 6.5" 12 AWG Green Wire, 15 AMP AGC Glass Fuse and Two 12-10 AWG Vinyl Insulated Butt Connector Terminals, 4 Pcs. : Amazon.com : Automotive

If so what amp fuse do i use inline same as my radios fuse?The radio is a 2950dx-3 max output 45 watts.I had it hooked up awhile back with 12 awg to the battery no problems.

Another question i have is the line that came with my anytone 5555 has a 15 amp fuse and the manual says dont use more than 10 but a 15 came with it.My rci uses a 10 amp.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/14669197?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb

15 dollar walmart stereo amp install kit. But it does have the fuse. Just check your local wally world or parts store in the stereo section, you will find exactly what you need. Lots of options for not alot of money.

It's really cheap insurance. An electrical fire on a car can spiral out of control at an incredibly fast rate. Unbelievably fast.

I watched my neighbor kids civic go from lowered, fart piped, body kitted silliness to a shell of nothing but very thin weak sheet metal. If it wasn't steel it melted. Aluminum wheels were a puddle shaped lump of aluminum. He had hooked up a neon light in the interior and the wire had rubbed through at the firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:
?

I already ordered 12 feet of 12 awg red and black and butt connectors and i need to know what size fuse should be wired at the battery.Should it be same as the other?My run is six feet total.Im sure 12 awg is fine i used it before.If my radio has a 10 amp fuse in line the one off the battery should be the same?also how far off the battery?Is 6inches to close?

Hey 123

My opinion....

Leave the radio in line fuses in circuit, run the cable that you have purchased to the battery and add a inline Circuit breaker at the battery end of the cable rated at no greater then the current carrying capacity of the cable. Not sure what 12 guage cable is rated for but I'm guessing around 10A or so

12 gauge is rated for at least 20 amps depending if it is bundled or not. Standard 14 gauge house wiring is used for 15 amp circuits and 12 gauge is used for 20 amp circuits so figuring 20 amps for 12 gauge is a safe bet.

im going to go from the stock rci 16awg wire cut at 2 feet with stepdown connectors to 12 awg to the battery spliced to the terminals and tightened.I will add a fuse at a later time when i can get my cousin the solder king involved.

if you are gonna do it that way,.... and there is nothing wrong with connecting directly to the battery, then you need to fuse BOTH the Pos and the Neg wire.

Reactions: 1 person
It comes with a 15amp in line.I read on line 12 gauge is rated at 18.6amps so its best not to exceed it.Using a smaller fuse would be a safer bet.The radio draws 9amps so there should be no confliction.I will fuse the neg at a later date "running low on funds" i also plane on using fire retardent piping to later.

Before you go with 14, 12, or #10 wire make darn sure your plans will not involve an external amp in the future. I don't know of anyone who is just happy with a radio alone. Think before you run small wire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.