• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

difference in audio quality of 500v , sweep tubes and linear amps

B

BOOTY MONSTER

im sure the other types are more broad banded than the 500v . but whats the difference in the tx quality on 10/11 meters between a texas star 500 , a amp using sweep tubes and a modestly priced ham tube amp , like an ameritron 811/811H or AL-80B ?
just curious .

*Tube amps are cleaner - provided you give them a clean signal to amplify.
*Tube amps use more current than a solid state amp will.
*Tube amps have more dynamic swing to the audio.
*Tube amps have a better sound than solid state. That goes for stereo equipment as well.
*Tube amps generate more heat in a room. That can be bad in the summertime and welcome in the wintertime...

I would use a tx 500v on 10mtrs.Not any other amp.Most are platter boxes.I have use a rci2950 and stock d104 and a Dand A Raider.If you are on 10mtrs you dont need all that power.And the main thing is keep a clean signal...73s de JW

Until the signal bandwidth gets totally ridiculous, the 'audio quality' isn't determined by the amplifier, but by the radio. That amplifier only amplifies what's fed to it, it doesn't change it. If the amplifier changes the 'audio quality', or any other characteristic of the signal other than strength, that amplifier is not designed/built/tuned correctly. The 'quality' of the output signal is entirely dependent on the 'linearity' of that amplifier and how it is operated.
Of the amplifiers you listed, I am most comfortable with the AL-80(A or B), so that's the one I would go with. That doesn't mean that the others can't be used! It's also a fact that if you run them conservatively, any amplifier will "sound" better than one that's getting the snot driven out of it.
Tube amplifiers are not 'cleaner' than solid state amplifiers, it isn't the other way around either. Either can be just as 'clean' as the other if designed and operated correctly. Cutting cost and complexity is good until you cut out something that really needs to be there. When you go that far, the only thing you are cutting is your throat.
The ratio of how much voltage, or how much current is used to produce a particular signal is constant. Tube typically use higher voltage and lower current. Solid state usually uses higher current and lower voltages. They both get to the same place, the route is just a bit different.
Dynamic range it typically higher for tube amplifiers, especially when dealing with sound. But that does not mean that you can't design a solid state amplifier that isn't just as 'broad' as a tube amplifier. It's just designed differently.
Tube amplifiers do tend to be hotter than solid state amplifiers. that's cuz they have to stay 'lit' all the time they are 'on'. Solid state stuff can be 'off' (no current flow) during part of it's 'operating' time. A tube's filaments are always 'on'.
- 'Doc

If you go and listen to the 11 meter band the lower portion of the 40 channels like channel 6 and 12 you will here tube amps and that PLATE MODULATION them boys are after. Ill bet if you listen long enough you will and understand what was just explained about the fact any amp can sound horrible when pounding the p!$$ out of them.

You will here a few clean ones then the knucklehead will come in with so much audio and he also driving the hell out of his amplifier to where it sounds like hes talking or humming with his lips to a piece of plastic wrap (cellophane) or talking through a musical Kazoo. thats what were saying about being clean and staying within the amplifiers limits and not cranking your power microphone and RF power wide open to get that last FEW WATTS.. The same applies for a solidstate transistor amplifier if you decide to you beat the p$$ out of it expect to and count on sounding like $h!+. ;)

If you go and listen to the 11 meter band the lower portion of the 40 channels like channel 6 and 12 you will here tube amps and that PLATE MODULATION them boys are after. Ill bet if you listen long enough you will and understand what was just explained about the fact any amp can sound horrible when pounding the p!$$ out of them.

You will here a few clean ones then the knucklehead will come in with so much audio and he also driving the hell out of his amplifier to where it sounds like hes talking or humming with his lips to a piece of plastic wrap (cellophane) or talking through a musical Kazoo. thats what were saying about being clean and staying within the amplifiers limits and not cranking your power microphone and RF power wide open to get that last FEW WATTS.. The same applies for a solidstate transistor amplifier if you decide to you beat the p$$ out of it expect to and count on sounding like $h!+. ;)
The worst audio I've ever heard was on channel 6 and that came from crack carter's shit rig and 99% of the rigs there sound like shit, the best I've heard the is Mean Pill and SidewinderNJ.

Yupp mack I know theres some nice sounding rigs out there on those frequencies and Im in no way cutting anyone down that plays on 11 meters on that AM portion of the straight 40 channels I am a SSB user on 111 meters 99.9% of the time but some folksd hate SSB so its different strokes for different folks.

I just want to make sure that people understand that Im not bashing 11 meters or anyone on it we all run and play where we see fit and run our equipment how we feel its pleasing but holy smokes either there alot of lying and fibbing blowing smoke up oneanothers @$$ telling eachother "yeah man you sound great!!" Or people just dont care when someone tries to be honest with them and figure kiss my @$$ when told there not sounding to good or not so sweet on the band.

To me tubes have a more natural sound. Smoother around the edges. Warmer. Lots of Hi Fi Stereo Audiophiles would agree. Im not argueing with anyone and sure dont know it all but thats my take. Have a Bud that runs the old Tube Stereo equipment and you can hear a difference. Maybe not as noticeable on 11 meters but still there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.