• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Diode Identification

JCH

Jun 13, 2011
LA
Not a good picture but can one of you guys help me i.d. the diode in the attached pic? There are no identifying letters, numbers, etc. on it.

Thank you,

jch.

Attachments

• 140311_002.jpg
    140311_002.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 11

Grab a magnifier, I bet there are numbers written in black. The pic looks fuzzy, but it's probably 1n4148 or similar.

lol!
Sorry, couldn't help it. Diodes are pretty small, and even if you were to use a macro lens to get a super close-up pic it wouldn't help much at all. There usually is print on them, but takes a strong eye and a magnifying glass to read them. If you know the location it came from, look it up on the schematic and there will be a part number that identifies it. The most common diode in most radios is the 1N4148, a common signal/switching diode used in many places. But there are other kinds of diodes and they are also used in the radio for different jobs. Biasing, clarifying, regulation, protection, and so on.

I have a magnifying glass but for the life of me don't see any numbers or any other identifying marks. Need a 10x loop. Thank you.

At first glance the markings will look like stray/errant ink, lol, that's how small it is.

I'll look for a glass with higher magnification\, but if there are numbers on this think I'll get naked and run across the parking lot.

Robb, it's at RV107 on a S45HP, the schematic shows an adjustment point but there are two diodes instead, which I think are different based on the look. The one I have is closest to the 6-pin (or 5 pin) mic jack on the radio.

thanks again.

jch

If that diode doesn't have a number on the board for it, then it cannot be identified unless you give Magnum a call and ask for its part number. Probably a 1N4148; but I would call them and find out for certain.

OK, I've emailed Sam but he hasn't responded yet. I'll try calling.

better pic attached, still no numbers.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Attachments

• 140311_008.jpg
    140311_008.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 11
If that diode doesn't have a number on the board for it, then it cannot be identified unless you give Magnum a call and ask for its part number. Probably a 1N4148; but I would call them and find out for certain.

Email from Sam in the mean time confirms, 1N4148. Thank you,

jch

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.