• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DIY Homebrew non-ICOM Dstar Repeater

WB0VHB

Feb 10, 2012
Before the flames get too high, Dstar is NOT for everyone. I don't use Dstar to work DX and would rather have a technical discussion with someone 10 miles away than exchange a 59 half way around the World during a contest.

However if you like radios, computers, the Internet and like to build, constructing your own Dstar repeater / hot spot can be very addictive! After finding out how easy it is, I built two more Dstar repeaters even though I don't have a location to install them at (yet).

Years ago I noticed Dstar but there was not any ICOM Dstar repeaters near me. Since the repeaters were thousands of dollars, there wasn't much chance any would be installed within range and certainly not by me! Then I discovered a small group of hams building their own non-ICOM repeaters for a fraction of the cost and performance was reported to be better. Now I was interested!

I should mention that I still had to invest in ICOM radios to communicate with the non-ICOM repeater I was building. Currently I own a IC-92AD (which is an outstanding HT) and a IC-2820H mobile radio. However presently there are a couple of projects being developed that will take the place of a ICOM radio.

Here is a picture of a Dstar UHF repeater I built using two Motorola GM300 analog mobile radios. The power supply is an Astron RS-20. A small duplexer is mounted above the radios. The small aluminum die-cast enclosure on top houses the StarBoard GMSK modem from MoenComm.

IMG_29.jpg

Here's a look inside the enclosure. I supplied the enclosure from some early projects and the modem fits nicely inside with room to spare.
StarBoardBox2.JPG

The modem is the interface between the GM300 mobiles and the computer. It is connected to the computer with a USB cable and is also power from the same cable. A DB9 connector has the connections for the radio. Transmit data, discriminator data, PTT and ground. The modem board also has a few status LEDs to indicate power, receive and transmit conditions.

Since the GM300 is a commercial radio, it's transmit duty cycle rating is not very high and certainly not intended for the long transmissions heard on the ham bands! I do prefer the GM300 because Motorola designed a thermistor in the power amplifier that will decrease output power if the PA gets too hot. However I would prefer to keep the heatsink cool with forced air cooling and use the thermistor as a failsafe if the fan fails.

Here is my design for keeping the transmitter cool. I've used this design on several Echolink nodes over the years. And to date, they're all still in use. A snap disc thermostat is fastened to the heatsink with a small amount of heatsink paste for heat transfer. The thermostat closes around 110F turning on a cooling fan for the transmitter and the power supply.
dstar%20gm300A.jpg

Here is the other side of the radio stack showing the antenna connectors and 16 pin connectors bring signals from the GMSK modem.
GM%20Dstar%20Wiring.jpg

If your the only ham in your area with a Dstar HT or mobile, building a repeater might not be the best solution. There won't be anyone to hear your repeated signal. Instead, remove one of the GM300 mobiles and the duplexer. Now you have a simplex Hot Spot and can use your Dstar mobile or HT within range of your shack. A DVAPis a similar product with only 10mw of output power. If this will cover your area of interest, go for it. Otherwise a Hot Spot can extend your coverage for a much larger area.

Here is a link for a great web page on building your own Hot Spot. There is also a link on that page telling how to convert to a repeater when more Dstar radios show up in the neighborhood.

Hopefully I have inspired some of you to find out what the DV (digital voice) mode is on your Dstar mobile or HT is for. You know the rig you only use on analog. Or maybe you do work a Dstar repeater in a neighboring city only to drive out of it's range when returning home.

Now you don't have an excuse when you drive out of range!

73's
Randy
randy at wb0vhb.com

The duplexer is a Celwave. I've seen the ones on eBay from China. Came pretty close to buying a VHF unit for a commerical job but got cold feet. I think K6JM bought a UHF duplexer from China and it is working fine.

I using the pcrepeater software here running under Linux. Our main repeater is assigned module B on 444 MHz and on a tower at 350' with a 10db gain commercial omni. 35 - 40 miles is pretty common. That's not bad considering it's fairly flat around here.

I also have a simplex hot spot running here in my shack also running the same software. It is connected to the gateway of the main repeater (KD0NJC) via a VPN and is running as module A. The Wizard behind making this all work is Rick, KD0OSS. He designed the StarBoard and keeps the software for all of our repeater modules running. He is running another simplex hot spot in his office assigned module C. It too is connected to the main repeater gateway via a VPN.

This module assignment goes against the grain of how Dstar was originally setup. Module letters were supposed to be assigned to the frequency of operation. But now we are able to have 3 (maybe 4) sites running all using the same club call. Prior to Rick doing his magic, we were looking at finding a way to get more club call signs for each new Dstar radio location. Not easy now that the FCC is limiting the number of club calls.

Rick and I hang out on his StarNet KD0OSS_B. To make a call, enter KD0OSS_B in your URCALL field along with your RPT1 and RPT2 calls as needed. The underscore _ is a space. You are not connecting or linking to the StarNet but rather callsign routing to it. Other members of the StarNet will hear your transmission. Don't go back to CQCQCQ but rather use the URCALL above for every transmission.

73's
Randy

I'm curious what duplexer you're using? Is that one of the Chinese Motorola copies commonly found on ebay like this:

UHF 50W 6 CAVITY DUPLEXER FOR REPEATER -FREE TUNING US1 | eBay

My other question is what software you're using? I'm guessing that you have call sign routing and all the good D-Star stuff working?

Randy, when are you usually monitoring? Tried you through the local gateway a couple of times today.

I looked at our Dashboard and didn't see any history of you connecting. Didn't see anything on the StarNet history either.

Best way would be to call sign route to me. If you do, give me a little time to get my radio set up to answer back to you.

Evenings are the best time to catch me in the shack. I'm CST.

Randy, when are you usually monitoring? Tried you through the local gateway a couple of times today.

It could have been my settings. I'm all of 48 hours into d-star right about not.

I had your call in the "your"("B" in the 8th character), RPT1 to the local repeater's B side, then RPT2 set to the local repeater's gateway. It didn't seem like it was getting a handshake.

I actually dropped my radio off with Mole this afternoon so he could use it to dial in the Club repeater. He'll probably try you from my radio in the next night or two. I'm sure he'll be able to show me what I was doing wrong. lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.