• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Drake TR7

Joe

Hello
I have a question if I may.

I just bought a pare of Heil Pro 5 headphones and I have them hooked up to my Fathers TR7 but the sound only comes out of one side. Is there a way of getting sound out of both sides?

I realize that it’s a mono plug, but I thought I would get sound out of both, even if its in mono.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Joe

If those are new, I'd suggest you return them because it sounds like they're defective. I have essentially the same phones as yours and they have always worked just fine (audio from both sides).

If you got them off eBay or from some other source, you might have a repair project!

Thanks Beetle

No I bought them from my ham store a few miles from me.

They work fine on my laptop using echo link but when I hook them up to the Drake using the proper adapter they only have sound out of the left side.

I have had great audio reports with them so they work fine in that respect, but the sound only comes out of one side on my Drake.

Joe - do you have another set of MONO headphones you could use to check? The TR7's headphone jack is a monophonic type (no point in having a stereo jack in there).

If you have a multimeter, put the phones on and connect them across the probes with the meter set to read resistance. You should hear a little "pop" in both sides.

Do the phones have a mono plug, or a stereo plug?

Beetle said:
Joe - do you have another set of MONO headphones you could use to check? The TR7's headphone jack is a monophonic type (no point in having a stereo jack in there).

If you have a multimeter, put the phones on and connect them across the probes with the meter set to read resistance. You should hear a little "pop" in both sides.

Do the phones have a mono plug, or a stereo plug?

Hi Beetle

The adapter I use is the AD1D from Heil made for the TR7

I don't understand why they would make an adapter for the TR7 and then only have sound out of one side. They should have a disclaimer saying that sound will only come out of one side on TR7.

I sent an e mail to Bob Heil I await his response.

PS: I will be getting a newer radio in the near future so the headphones will be use full later on

A quote from Bob

"Hi Joe

COngrats on the PRO SET..pretty simple, Joe. The vintage radios headphone jacks were always mono....they were built before any 'stereo' applications were thought of. All you need is an adapter from Radio Shack, etc....1/4" male mono to 1/4" F stereo. "

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.