• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Drop Voltage!!!!

15minigrass

Oct 30, 2006
ey guys, just got a noise toy. A birdie TB-H1. Wanna put it in my 636 mic, along with a 12vlt camera batt, similar to a 7 vlt. I couldnt find a 7 vlt batt so I picked up the 12 vlt one. I need to bring down from 12 volt to around 5-7 volts just to slow down the speed of the birdie. Ive tried connecting some 1k ohm 1/2 watt resistors in line about 25 of those all it got down to was 8.40 volts.

What types of resistor can I use to bring it down to 5-7 volts???

25 resistors are too much to fit in the mic. I would put it in a project box but would rather have it in the mic. Compact,,,

Thanx, aloha James.

15minigrass said:
ey guys, just got a noise toy. A birdie TB-H1. Wanna put it in my 636 mic, along with a 12vlt camera batt, similar to a 7 vlt. I couldnt find a 7 vlt batt so I picked up the 12 vlt one. I need to bring down from 12 volt to around 5-7 volts just to slow down the speed of the birdie. Ive tried connecting some 1k ohm 1/2 watt resistors in line about 25 of those all it got down to was 8.40 volts.

What types of resistor can I use to bring it down to 5-7 volts???

25 resistors are too much to fit in the mic. I would put it in a project box but would rather have it in the mic. Compact,,,

Thanx, aloha James.

You do know that you will be wasting about half of the energy stored in the battery as heat. A 6VDC or 7 VDC battery would be a much better solution...

If you really want to create a voltage divider circuit, here are some very basic calculations.

Assuming the battery voltage was actually 12 VDC when 8.4 VDC was measured across the toy, and that 25 kohms was added in series, the toy has an input impedance of approximately 58.33 kohms and is drawing about 144 micro-amps.

So using standard 5% value resistors, a 56 kohm resistor at 1/8 watt or larger from Radio shack should measure around 6.12 VDC across the toy. A 41 kohm resistor instead of the 56 kohm should measure close to 7 VDC...

If you use a zener diode, don't forget to use a current limiting diode, calculated for 25-40% of the continuous current rating for the diode, at the diode's voltage rating.

Rich

dude, either goto radioShack and grab a 7.5volt battery for 5 bucks +tax or order it online and have free ground shipping
if you get it shiped to the store...sometimes rocket science ways ain't the best ways...I hate to say but the ways posted here will cause to much heat or just drain the battery.sooner then the battery life itself! comeon guys jesus , what if hes soldering to that flimsy 7.5 volt battery top(and they are flimsy) and it pops..in his face how would you feel..
this is why there are different types of batterys....
I mean these ways are cool and U-neek..but for the better are they really stable in the long run..ANSWER no..

damm this remindes me of that ongoing post about how can i not hook my radio up backwards...give me a break:lol
and go ahead post away cos i said what i had to say...bottom line THE END!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.