• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dummy load

weatherman49

Apr 27, 2006
El Dorado AR
Hey got a Q I made a dummy load out of a old radio chassis, I cut the back off where the only thing left was the coax connector, soldered 20 1000 Ohm 1/4 watt resistors in parallel to get my 50 Ohms works great 1:1 swr my Q is using the 1/4 watt resistors how much power will it handle I have used it with up to about 15 watts for short tests and it barely got worm to the touch! I'll try to send some pics this week. I have an old tv that has a 150 Ohm 20 watt resistor and I am looking for another want to put a heat sink on it and use a pc cooling fan for heat dissapation. whadaya think. just me being a backyard use it if ya got it type a guy!!

Weatherman

weatherman i have made a few small dummyloads over the years,
the last 2 i built i used 100 x.6w 1% none inductive metal film resistors and 100 x 2w because they were cheap and i needed a load larger than the average cbshop dummyloads,

they can work ok at cb frequencies providing the resistors are none inductive types and you keep the leads as short as possible when you assemble it,

i gave my ham buddy the 200w version and he claims it works fine for him at hf frequencies,

the 100 x .6 would be rated at 60w but i have used it at 300w for short bursts long enough to take a reading,
the resistors i used are rated at 10x their continuous rating for 10 seconds so a 4 second burst wont hurt them or get them hot enough to change resistance enough to matter,

to construct it i soldered 3 pieces of pcb into a u shaped channel with a c0pper wire running down the middle to the so239 which was in turn mounted onto the lid of a large treacle tin,

next i soldered 3 rows of resistors between the wire and bottom and sides of the u channel keeping leads as short as possible about 1/16",
after checking with a multimeter i had to add a few more resistors to get exactly 50ohms then tested the vswr to see if the setup was reactive at cb frequencies,

luck or not they both worked ok for general testing of cb's and amps with a very low vwsr and much better than my earlier efforts,

if you do happen to get it too hot and the resistance goes up you can add easily extra resistors to get it back to 50ohms,

i tried filling the tin with different oils but they all screwed the vswr up so i cleaned them off and drilled holes in the top and around the bottom to allow some airflow,

its not the best way by any means but if youre bored and need a cheap load that will do a reasonable job on lower frequencies then this would give you something to do for a hour or two,

good luck with whatever way you decide to do it ;)

bob85 said:
weatherman i have made a few small dummyloads over the years,
the last 2 i built i used 100 x.6w 1% none inductive metal film resistors and 100 x 2w because they were cheap and i needed a load larger than the average cbshop dummyloads,

they can work ok at cb frequencies providing the resistors are none inductive types and you keep the leads as short as possible when you assemble it,

i gave my ham buddy the 200w version and he claims it works fine for him at hf frequencies,

the 100 x .6 would be rated at 60w but i have used it at 300w for short bursts long enough to take a reading,
the resistors i used are rated at 10x their continuous rating for 10 seconds so a 4 second burst wont hurt them or get them hot enough to change resistance enough to matter,

to construct it i soldered 3 pieces of pcb into a u shaped channel with a c0pper wire running down the middle to the so239 which was in turn mounted onto the lid of a large treacle tin,

next i soldered 3 rows of resistors between the wire and bottom and sides of the u channel keeping leads as short as possible about 1/16",
after checking with a multimeter i had to add a few more resistors to get exactly 50ohms then tested the vswr to see if the setup was reactive at cb frequencies,

luck or not they both worked ok for general testing of cb's and amps with a very low vwsr and much better than my earlier efforts,

if you do happen to get it too hot and the resistance goes up you can add easily extra resistors to get it back to 50ohms,

i tried filling the tin with different oils but they all screwed the vswr up so i cleaned them off and drilled holes in the top and around the bottom to allow some airflow,

its not the best way by any means but if youre bored and need a cheap load that will do a reasonable job on lower frequencies then this would give you something to do for a hour or two,

good luck with whatever way you decide to do it ;)

A 100 watt dummy load (use 100 watts worth of resistors) should be useable to a kilowatt, pep, for short bursts of time, if you force air cool it (and I mean, a small muffin fan blowing over the top). I wouldn't use more than 100 watts of carrier for more than a minute or two, but for short bursts *like testing pep capability of an amp*, it should work fine on most 4 and 6 pills.

Toll_Free

the load I would be testing would be around 200w for a short burst PEP I was thinking since I already had the one 20w 150 Ohn resistor from the junk tv I could find a couple more. if my calculations are right I should have a load capable of around 60w and with this mounted to a pc heatsink and fan I should be able to check the 200w PEP for short burst without a major loss in resistance first I have to find a couple more junk tv's I think my father in law has one so I'll start there!! I have alot of fun tinkering with stuff I do alot of reading and experimenting! I had some basic electronics in the Army and started to colledge for a degree in electronics technology. I got in 2 semesters when I had an unexpected delivery from Mr. Stork so I had to go back to work. I'm a Motocycle tech If yall were wondering. I just purchased a book From Barnes and noble I'ts a reprint of a navy training manual for there radio communications techs pretty good reading dives in pretty deep on how radios operate covers everything from tube type transcievers to modern stuff. from power supplies to amps. anywho thanks for the ideas and if my digital camera would take better pictures id post them but when you try to do a closeup it turns out 2 blury Sorry! I'll work on that 2 I'm gonna read some other post now alot of good info on this site. better than another site I care not to mention but a penny is made from this stuff if ya get the hint! Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.