• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

eliminating static

K

KD5VHF

Good advice listed above. The bands have had alot of static lately due to storms so what you are hearing may not have been present earlier and it may clear up in a couple of days.

<hr />73, Mike
photo.thumb.jpeg
</p>

Hello All

Just got me a solarcon A-99 and it does an incredible job overall. However I have one small qualm.

I've got it connected to my RCI 2990(got it with the antenna), and it seems I have an incredible amount of static. It's not incredibly close to any power lines. But it seems on any given channel i'm greeted by an extreme amount of "whooshing" through the speaker.

I had been running a cobra 19 on a 102" steel whip in my driveway with very little static.

A buddy of mine said he used to have a saturn turbo and he had the same problem, receiving entirely too much static. I've read the GPK for the a-99 isn't worth the money, but will it cut down on the amount of static? I read in the official add that it increases transmission range, but I"m not having any problem in that department. Any help would be great.

</p>

Helo Saint7ds:

I had the same problem with a fiberglass type antenna a few years ago. In fact the static energy was so strong when I once removed the PL-259 coax connector I got a pretty good shock!

My Fiberglass antenna was NOT grounded. I have recommended many times to others to ground the coax and antenna masts, so that was my fault. But what would happed I believe was the Mojave Desert winds (that can get up to 100 MPH at times) was charging the fiberglass with static electricity and sending static energy down the coax and zapping me and my radio. A Yaesu and a Icom Amateur Radios had Superior rejection to the static noise as compared to my transistorized CB Radio.

But again grounding the antenna mast and coax is a good call.

I was going to install a 3300 to 10,000 Ohm, 2 watt Carbon ONLY type resistor (the resistor value depending on your output power capability) between the center wire and shield of the coax at the antenna, this would have bleed off some of the static energy while having a insignificant effect on the antennas performance. But I changed the antenna before I could test this.

I installed a Ground Rod and mounted a Lightening Arrestor on it, the coax was connected to the Lightening Arrestor, this helped some but wasn't the total fix.

With all antennas at times you will hear some static.

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.