• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End of an Era

"This change eliminates an unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current Amateur Radio operators from advancing their skills and participating more fully in the benefits of Amateur Radio," the FCC said.

Yes this is a good call.

I was hoping the ARRL was going to lead the way for the dropping of the old and anaquated CW testing requirement. But the FCC the Federal Goverment did it. Again a good call.

I know many of my older ham friends where out raged over all this. I told them it really isn't a big deal, why restrict so many to a good thing as ham radio over NOT knowing CW. With so many different modes and different activities on ham radio it doesn't makle sense. And has not made sense for the past 20 years.
And after a few days of pouting they agreed.

They still have the CW bands. Now the CW mode will stand on its own merits. It may even be possible that the CW bands may see a increase in use with the new guys who want to do more serious DX contacts. Time will tell.

Jay in the Mojave

Jay I agree. The MAIN REASON the ARRL wanted to keep CW was because of all the retired OF's with the $$ and lifetime memberships. I'm a member because it's the ONLY "big" voice we have and they do -some- good. I'm afraid if there were another large organization no matter how good the intentions, it would quickly turn into a $$ thing just like the ARRL. Sure there are a couple of locals here that are upset but most welcome the new change. I've even had quite a few old timers offer help putting up my antenna and one even said he would drive me to Austin (45 miles) to take my test. I think the ruffled feathers will blow over pretty quick. I WAS hoping to see the used equipment market flooded and therefore low prices from all who said they would get out of the hobby and sell their equipment if they ever dropped element 1 :LOL:

Hello Hook 948:

Yeah I agree that the OF's wanted to keep the CW maintained. But time changes everything. And again its a good call to drop the CW License Testing requirement.

I also agree the the ARRL is a good group as its the only group around that I know of. And it is doing good things like going after the FCC in the BPL Interfence Issues. I have been reading QST Magazine to keep somewhat on top of these issues.

Kind of funny, I don't think there will be a lot more used equipment around, due to the CW Testing requirement being dropped by the FCC. I agree again the upset CW crowd will calm down. And things will go on as nothing happened.

We should all look forward to making some new friends and keep the amateur radio hobby alive and well, and most of all, friendly.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, ....just down the road ah ways from the fillin station.

Up here we have not had a code requirement since August 2005 and the bands are not a mess as was feared. We do however have a few restrictions on basic ticket holders regarding power limits and commercial gear only.For the great part new codeless hams have been welcomed on HF and politely corrected. As long as they make an attempt to "do it right" things have been fine. You will however still get some A-holes on either side of the issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.