• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EXCESSIVE COAX

Captain -
Thank you for making my point. I never mentioned that the inner core would be an inductor, I just said that it will form an inductor, which the shield will do. If common mode currents are present on the coax, choking them off inside the shack is not a good idea as I see it. Instead of taking chances of it causing problems, just don't coil it up in the first place.

MOGVZ -You call my post "rubbish,", and then say,"It won't cause any problems unless . . ." Nice tap dancing.

I must admit that any time I hear someone say that coiling up coax forms an inductor, I assume they are talking about the inner conductor, mainly because they usually are talking about that. Lots of folks think that coiling it up will somehow reduce the power output because the cable forms an inductor. They back it up by saying that when they move the cable and straighten it out the SWR and power meters change which are classic signs of common mode currents but try explaining that to a lot of people.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.