• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extended length control head cable for Alinco DR-635T VHF/UHF transceiver

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
The detachable control head feature is excellent, but I needed a fairly long cable to allow the head to be distant from the main chassis. I observed that the tiny jumper provided with the rig had six conductors and six-pin RJ-12 telephone connectors, and a check with an ohmmeter proved that the cable was wired in a "straight-through" arrangement of the pins. In other words, hold the two connectors side by side in the same orientation and you'll see that the same wire is connected to pin 1, 2, 3 etc on both ends. A check of the online service manual and schematic (thanks, Alinco!) confirmed my observations.

Note that this is not the pin-out of cables intended for telephone purposes - those have the pins flipped from end to end. The straight-through arrangement is used more commonly for computer jumpers.

In a matter of minutes I used a couple RJ-12 connectors from my parts collection, some flat silver phone cord, and my crimp tool to make a straight-through cable the length needed. It worked perfectly on the Alinco rig.

I also see that similar cables of various lengths are available ready made from Amazon.com:
Cables To Go 9600 RJ12 6p6c Modular Cable Straight (14 Feet, Silver) $6.43 each or Cables To Go 9598 RJ12 6p6c Modular Cable Straight (7 Feet, Silver) $1.26 each

Thanks Go out to Steve WD8DAS for the Info.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.