• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extremely Fortunate

David Waits

Oct 13, 2014
Well, I had a great deal fall nto my lap yesterday. Had to wait til I was sure to say anything. I am now awaiting Delivery of a Cobra 2000GTL with twin speakers that I got for a very shameless price. From what the guy says, the only mod is channels. Don't know yet if it's switched over to the MB8719 Chip or if it's some kind of kit but, that is all that's done to it. No clipped transistors or resistors.

Other than building up the Power Supply(Guy said it's a little weak but running) with a 5600uf,50VDC Cap and a NTE152. I may replace the Bridge--Rectifier with the 25amp, 50VDC unit Radio Shack sells. Trying to decide about TR401, he just put one in. Don't know if the NTE181 would be an improvement.

Anyway, the only change I want to make other than fixing the PS would be to turn all the displays blue. I know the two center meters you can use 12v LEDS and 600 ohm resistors but, what about the freq.Display and the channel display?

Those aren't easy change-overs. I don't know if they are still being sold, but you could purchase kits that allow you to change the color from red to blue or purple. They were pricey tho... in the neighborhood of $50-60.00 or thereabouts. Might want to check Ebay and see if someone is still making those kits if that's what you fancy. Good luck!

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.