• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FAq\Help on setting up a cb packet radio?

warthog

Jan 6, 2013
Hi,
I am new to the forum and i wanted help in setting up my own packet radio system with BBS functionality.

Here in India the govt deregulated cb radios in 2005 and allowed unrestricted access to the 27 mhz.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_Band_radio_in_India
max power is 5w

govt notification on delicensing
http://www.wpc.dot.gov.in/DocFiles/CB Radio Delicensing.doc

Now i was watching this video which made me interested in setting a cb packet radio system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFu71XeM998&feature=player_embedded

Now can anyone tell me what type of cb should i get.
am or
am\fm or
am\fm\ssb

the ssb version costs $150.
This is the only dealer that i could find.
http://www.mera-cb.com/in/The_CB_Radios/

Also they said that they can provide a TNC for $4 which i doubt has any features.Can i use a laptop sound card as tnc?
I have dell xps m1210 vista business 32 bit and dell xps 15 (l502x) win win 7 home premium 64 bit.

Also what type of antenna should i purchase.How far can i use this as a packet radio comms and which software should i use?.

MAY I REMIND you that packet radio is LEGAL in INDIA since august 2005.

Also i dont know anything about CBs so plz explain in detail.
Thanks

Not sure if your laws are the same however as a class licence (packet radio digital transmissions) are not legal on cb frequencies however I can answer some of your questions.
If you visit
Introduction - Sound Card Packet
It will give you a rundown on using packet via a PC sound card by running a program called AGWPE (agw packet engine), it is a really good program and I have run this myself. There is also a link to a cheap and easy to build circuit that will connect via a com port to your tx & gnd wires on your mic plug to control tx (no need for a TNC).
I built one and it is small enough to fit inside my kenwood MC80 desk mic. Also have a look at MMSSTV. A few years ago there was a group sending sstv on .415-.500 But it was squashed by a few upset hams here in aus.
It would be great to make some sstv contacts again on the upper channels

@QROdx
I just read your first link and it makes reference to 27.235 as a international packet frequency on FM.
This is the first time I have herd of this. Do you know if it is still active?

I really couldnt tell you. i havent worked packet (2m/6m US) in at least 15 years.
that site is in europe and i dont know their laws but there are several countries where you can do anything you want on 27MHz

Edit: woohooo... 100th post!
dancing-banana.gif
dancing_banana_warrior.gif
dancing-banana.gif

Reactions: 1 person
@warthog
Sorry my friend I thought that you where in USA, I was half asleep when I read your post.
Try to get yourself a multi mode tranceiver for example

:- RCI-2950
:- yeticom optima

Something along those lines, there are plenty to pick from.
With something as simple as a half wave vertical end fed dipole and a small amp (around 200 watts output) you can work the world when the conditions are right.
I will have to set up my packet gear again to keep an ear out for you.
It would be a blast to work India via packet

warthog....packet on CB is not legal in the US. Did you know you can email the poster of the Youtube video and pose your question there? Otherwise find someone locally and have them assist. This forum is US based and I don't believe I've seen anyone here from India.

Like QROdx I have not played with packet bbs on Amateur Radio for at least 15 years.

Good luck.

Any mode, AM/SSB/FM, can be used for packet. Because of several factors, on HF, SSB seems to be the most prevalent.
A separate TNC is not required, a sound card 'TNC' is very usable and fairly simple. And since you would be using a computer for the packet program, you could also use it for the 'TNC' also.
The radio used should be frequency stable, and capable of transmitting on the frequencies typically used for packet in your area. The antenna should also be optimized for use on the frequencies of use. The antenna has nothing to do with the mode, it only handles RF. So, if the radio and antenna is usable for other types of communications in your area they should work with packet.
Then there's the matter of connecting all of this stuff together, which can be lots of 'fun' at times. Using a soundcard TNC means that the connections/cables between radio and computer will be audio cables. How to make the particular connections needed depends on the radio of use. It shouldn't be all that complicated though. From there it's merely a matter of making the right adjustments to the programs in use and audio levels.
Unfortunately, computers and radios tend not to 'like' each other much, there's a possibility that there will be interference between the two. That's a complicated thing to 'handle' and is related to specific radios and computers, no idea about explaining that part, other than to say 'good luck'! :)
Which programs to use? Beats me, what's available to you? Most of the TNC and packet programs are free to amateurs, and naturally, there are some that are not free.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Thanks guys.I will purchase the jackson II cb radio.It has ssb\am\fm. Also one more thing,what will be the maximum range of the cb radio while using packet radio?.

range depends on several things like location, power, antenna type and height as well as conditions.

IF there are other packet users in your area you could set up nodes/backbones and then extend your range by connecting through other stations.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.