• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

faraday cage

Don't forget about the Chinese with their satellite killers. You know, the one's they say they don't have. ;)

Brett

wow did i stir a hornets nest. i just wanted to protect my
most expensive radio.i guess ill just wait and see.
thanks anyway.

thanks anyway.
Sorry. Basically, you can't use it and have it be safe. I suppose you could build the best cage you could manage then store it in the cage. It would be a real pain to pull it out and set it up when you wanted to use it to use it.

thanks anyway.
Thought you brought up a useful point, since it has made some more aware.

One more point to be made with this emp thang.
The Carrington Event; which occurred before the age of modern electronics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Had this occurred in modern times, every piece of electronics would be turned into junk.

Thought you brought up a useful point, since it has made some more aware.

One more point to be made with this emp thang.
The Carrington Event; which occurred before the age of modern electronics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Had this occurred in modern times, every piece of electronics would be turned into junk.

Oh yeah.....telegraph offices caught on fire from the high voltage induced into the wiring and telegraph keys literally welded closed.

Shouldn't an old microwave oven be good? Put a cell phone in it and call. If it doesn't ring you should be ok. Keeps microwaves in, just a thought.

Shouldn't an old microwave oven be good? Put a cell phone in it and call. If it doesn't ring you should be ok. Keeps microwaves in, just a thought.

To a point. I could not take my 2.4 GHz cordless phone and use it while standing in front of the microwave when it was running. The phone had spread spectrum technology but it was trashed by the microwave oven running on 2.45 GHz. It worked fine however as soon as I backed off 12-15 feet or so.

i made one thanks.
actually had one built from a ham op. perfect size for my kenwood.
thanks guys

it was several layers of steel welded together with spacers than another layer of steel. he filled in the space between the layers with some kind of filler. he would not tell me what he put there. but its heavy as hell.
he said it would work. so im taking his word for it. guess ill just wait and see. the dude is a ww2 vet. and prepper.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?